What's new

Is it authentic?

Hey all,

I purchased a Cole/Hoffritz slant from Goodwill, and I was wondering, based on these images, if anybody has reason to believe it has been modified or is not all original.

Here is what I know:
The only other marking on the razor is under the top plate and it is the number 1.

I spent a bit of time cleaning it up. My suspicion is because it almost looks like somebody maybe painted the handle, and the top assembly of the razor looks unused. I mean not a single scratch on it! I soaked it and scraped off some white residue around the knob and under the head of the razor, and it was very difficult to remove so I'm not sure if it was soap scum.

Anyways, without further ado, here are the pics...

Thanks!

$uploadfromtaptalk1440990618510.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440990634042.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440990647983.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440990663316.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo! I'm stoked. Can't wait to actually give it a try. The box has a sticker on the bottom that says BJ's $3.00. Unfortunately I paid a lot more than that for it!

It's like asking if your 1952 Alfa Romeo 1900C Sprint Pininfarina coupe is authentic or a cheap Made In China knockoff. This Slant is way too sophisticated to be a bootleg.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Beautiful original razor, I've got a Pomco and Hoffritz like that but no Coles yet. Congrats on your find.

Lol. Thanks Maxime! I've been wet shaving for a while, but just recently started collecting.

I watched that one on the Goodwill site. Didn't bid when the price kept going. That thing is beautiful. Let us know how it shaves and Congratualtions!!!

I watched that one on the Goodwill site. Didn't bid when the price kept going. That thing is beautiful. Let us know how it shaves and Congratualtions!!!
That's where I won it from. Somebody else had a pretty high bid in on it, so most of those bids were from me trying to outbid him! It was worth it though. I cleaned it and polished it, and it looks brand new. I'm awfully happy with it.

The white on the handle is sometimes called "German silver". This was not meant as derogatory in any way, but a slang term for the alloy that was concocted back in the day to offer a protective coating.

I didn't realize that Goodwill had a website. If they have stuff like this I will have to check it out.

Again, nice score!

I didn't either until I was randomly searching the internet for razors. Now the secret is out!

I didn't realize that Goodwill had a website. If they have stuff like this I will have to check it out.

Again, nice score!

I've seen some pretty nice things roll thru the goodwill site although I've never found a "bargain"

That's a great find, and a nice score! Enjoy your new toy.

Top Bottom