What's new

NOS GEM G Bar impression

My mother picked up a NOS GEM G Bar cheap at an estate sale and sent it on to me. I've avoided the SE world and have given away and sold several that have come along but finally decided to try a SE out. When I want to pamper myself I use my straight and nothing beats that otherwise my go to is a Gillette Tech. I picked up some Blue Star blades and the G Bar gave an adequate shave but it felt like trying to shave with a butcher knife. Must be my face is too small. I'll hang on to it simply because it is in such great shape and maybe one of the kids will want it when they start shaving.

Just as with DE's and straights (especially straights) there is a learning curve with SE razors. Try using it for a week or so, perhaps trying some different blades as Billy suggested, before making any judgments.

--Bob

I used mine to today for the first time in a year, and it was wonderful! Just keep using it and keep the proper angle and you will love it.

I learned to shave with a straight razor as that was what my Dad used.

He he also had a Gem G Bar that he let me use until I got my own razor.
I still have it and use it. Once you get used to yours, it could well become your daily driver.
They are very nice razors...good weight, efficient and a mild feel.

It is a different angle from a DE shaver - give it some more time and see if you can hone your technique - be sure to keep the flat part of the shaver very close - almost parallel to your skin. The tricky part for me is under the nose because you have to change your angle to get the blade in there. I have about 8 GEM shavers - I just picked up a NOS OC Micromatic at an antique shop - it has been a year or two since I last used a GEM (sticking mostly to OC and Slant DE's) and even though I have a pretty good technique, I have to get used to using it all over again.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
A G-Bar was my first non-injector SE shave. I followed all of the information about how to use it that I received at the time. I was told to make sure to hold the head almost flat against my face. It was not a very comfy shave, and I did not bond with it. When I reported these results on the SE forum, I was then informed that the G-Bar has a different blade angle, and that when i was told to shave with the head flat to my face, i was apparently misinformed. I did another SE with a Featherweight, and had a wonderful shave. So there may be some kind of a different learning curve with that G-Bar. That is what I was told recently about my experience with the G-Bar. So ymmv.

A G-Bar was my first non-injector SE shave. I followed all of the information about how to use it that I received at the time. I was told to make sure to hold the head almost flat against my face. It was not a very comfy shave, and I did not bond with it. When I reported these results on the SE forum, I was then informed that the G-Bar has a different blade angle, and that when i was told to shave with the head flat to my face, i was apparently misinformed. I did another SE with a Featherweight, and had a wonderful shave. So there may be some kind of a different learning curve with that G-Bar. That is what I was told recently about my experience with the G-Bar. So ymmv.

That's correct Sir....The G Bar & Gem Featherweight were not designed to shave flat against the face.....:thumbup1:

Billy

I have struggled with SE's also. The blade feels too rigid and doesn't seem to cut as well for me as a DE.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That's correct Sir....The G Bar & Gem Featherweight were not designed to shave flat against the face.....:thumbup1:

Billy

OK! Wait a minute. I was told that the Featherweight WAS indeed meant to shave flat against the face! Whereas the G-Bar was the one with the altered shaving angle. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

OK! Wait a minute. I was told that the Featherweight WAS indeed meant to shave flat against the face! Whereas the G-Bar was the one with the altered shaving angle. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.
These two razors are the same Sir....The G bar can be seen as the Full Metal Jacket version of the Gem Featherweight....Non of the two of these razors were meant to be used flat against the face...:thumbup1:

Billy

Last edited:
A new blade helped. It didn't drag and tug nearly as much. Not as close as my Tech but better than the first shave. Definitely a mild razor. I'll work through the blades and see if I can get my technique down but may end up just packing it away once I am through them.

These two razors are the same Sir....The G bar can be seen as the Full Metal Jacket version of the Gem Featherweight....Non of the two of these razors were meant to be used flat against the face...:thumbup1:

Billy

WIth these razors can you still start flat and lower the handle to find the right angle? :bored:

Last edited:
Yeah, That's a good a method as any Sir....When you drop the handle you will find the Natural Angle when it starts to cut...There has been too much made of shaving Flat against the Face with SEs as they all have slightly different shaving characteristics ....The Gem OCMM & Clog - Pruf do shave absolutely flat against the face though but these are different animals again...:thumbup1:

Billy

That's good you found a difference with the stainless blades..Yeah, the G Bar is a mild razor for sure Sir...:thumbup1:

Billy

WIth these razors can you still start flat and lower the handle to find the right angle? :bored:

Yeah, That's a good a method as any Sir....When you drop the handle you will find the Natural Angle when it starts to cut...There has been too much made of shaving Flat against the Face with SEs as they all have slightly different shaving characteristics ....The Gem OCMM & Clog - Pruf do shave absolutely flat against the face though but these are different animals again...:thumbup1:

Billy

I have used this technique to shave with some very aggressive razors and haven't had much problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom