What's new

Meerschaum Pipe

Hello Gents,

I came across this pipe while overseas. It is a Turkish Meerschaum Pipe hand carved by Turkish Master Pipe Maker Burhan Yucel. I have been trying to get it appraised for some years now. I'm not generally a pipe smoker so it's appraisal is something I've been hard pressed to find. It is an unfired piece that holds an ounce of Tobacco. I've been to several pipe/smoke shops in my region, but unfortunately most have little to no experience with Meerschaum, with no contacts for an appraisal. I'm dying to know exactly how much this pipe is worth. Also, a curious inquisition; is the pipe actually worth more fired or unfired?

Attachments

• $Pipe01.jpg
    $Pipe01.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 81
  • $Pipe02.jpg
    $Pipe02.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 81
  • $Pipe03.jpg
    $Pipe03.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 81
  • $Pipe04.jpg
    $Pipe04.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 81
  • $Pipe05.jpg
    $Pipe05.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 82
What a beautiful item. Not a pipe owner myself but one can't help but admire the craftsmanship. Good for you and better still if you don't smoke it.

I'm thinking appraisals are against the terms of use here at BnB.

The stock answer is it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

It certainly is a striking piece.

I'd compare it to some other of his contemporaries, like Fikri Baki and other well known Turkish carvers.

Edit: In retrospect, I have no idea if he's got the same following or demand as Baki. Baki also uses Cumberland stems, whereas that looks like an acrylic stem, which will cause a difference in value.

Last edited:
Understandably. If appraisals are against the terms, then my apologies. I'm not looking to sell, just a collector. Like I said, I'm not very learned in the pipe world. This was just a piece I felt to be unique and I had to have it. I figured the brown leaf would be a good place to get an experienced opinion. I've done a bit of digging myself and found Mr. Yucel does have a sight on which he sells his wares. Most of his wares don't have the detail this piece does. I've tried contacting him myself, but have had little luck with getting a response over the past few years. Most of his pieces sell for about the equivalent of $150, but tend to be very basic. I'm tempted to smoke out of it, but can't bring myself to weather it in any way. Being a collector of various items, they're better left in mint condition. Thus, the reason I asked if it had more value fired or unfired. What I have been told is that Meerschaum are worth more when fired. Being a porous stone, the Meerschaum holds flavor from the tobacco smoked through it. Having never used a Meerschaum pipe, I have no experience to back up this information. Just trying to get more answers to better understand this item in my collection.

Understandably. If appraisals are against the terms, then my apologies. I'm not looking to sell, just a collector. Like I said, I'm not very learned in the pipe world. This was just a piece I felt to be unique and I had to have it. I figured the brown leaf would be a good place to get an experienced opinion. I've done a bit of digging myself and found Mr. Yucel does have a sight on which he sells his wares. Most of his wares don't have the detail this piece does. I've tried contacting him myself, but have had little luck with getting a response over the past few years. Most of his pieces sell for about the equivalent of $150, but tend to be very basic. I'm tempted to smoke out of it, but can't bring myself to weather it in any way. Being a collector of various items, they're better left in mint condition. Thus, the reason I asked if it had more value fired or unfired. What I have been told is that Meerschaum are worth more when fired. Being a porous stone, the Meerschaum holds flavor from the tobacco smoked through it. Having never used a Meerschaum pipe, I have no experience to back up this information. Just trying to get more answers to better understand this item in my collection.

Meerschaum is better left unsmoked in terms of value. It's one thing if it's a meerschaum pipe from the early 20th century with beautiful coloring in it, but those are few and far between.

Top Bottom