What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

This thread is to hold conversations about cartridge razors of all types all blade counts

What cart/system razor do you use and why do you enjoy the type/brand of cart razor you are shaving with?

I'll start off.

I've never shaved with a cart/system razor.

BUT

I do own two because I thought they were cool or unusual

2 blade Schick in silver (maybe a girls razor as it is in a pink case). I believe these are called trac II blades.

5 blade Remington "King of Shaves". 5 blades Maybe only need to shave once a week. Not sure. I never opened the package

I've never used a cart/system because I started shaving before they existed and never tried one, not because I don't like them.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I greatly prefer the Gillette Guard over any other cart system.

It's right under the Gillette Tech on my favorite razors list. I use it regularly. I mix up between the Guard and the Tech.

It's right under the Gillette Tech on my favorite razors list. I use it regularly. I mix up between the Guard and the Tech.

Is it a single blade cart or multi blade? I don't follow all of the new fangled shaving apparatus

I don't know why I've never tried a cart/system razor. Maybe the cost of getting started. I did ask both Gillette and Schick if they would provide a sample of their product but both declined so that is as close as I have ever been. I was impressed that they did answer me even though it was to say "get lost"

I did buy that 2 blade Schick on BST ages ago but it appeared unused and I did not want to gum it all up since it was so purdy :001_smile

proxy.php

Is it a single blade cart or multi blade? I don't follow all of the new fangled shaving apparatus

I don't know why I've never tried a cart/system razor. Maybe the cost of getting started. I did ask both Gillette and Schick if they would provide a sample of their product but both declined so that is as close as I have ever been. I was impressed that they did answer me even though it was to say "get lost"

I did buy that 2 blade Schick on BST ages ago but it appeared unused and I did not want to gum it all up since it was so purdy :001_smile

proxy.php

Man, that silver Schick is cool!!

It takes Trac II cartridges indeed. For me, they are the best, since it's a fixed head system (no moving parts, and nothing wobbly), and has fixed mounted blades (so you get decent feedback, like with a DE razor).

My favourite carts are the vintage Wilkinson Sword "Made in England" ones ... no surprise there, since they also made my favourite DE blades. I even suspect that they are the same steel and coating, just in another form factor. Sadly, both those DE blades and twin blade cartridges were discontinued long ago, so you cannot find them new.

I started with the original Sensor. I liked it and still like it. I never really liked the models that came after and since finding DE razors I have no reason to go back to carts, but the Sensor will always hold a special place.

I started with the original Sensor. I liked it and still like it. I never really liked the models that came after and since finding DE razors I have no reason to go back to carts, but the Sensor will always hold a special place.

Funnily enough, the Sensor made me decide to stay with the Trac II and Atra razors. The whole idea of a spring loaded blade did not appeal to me, and I thought it looked ugly. YMMV applies here as well :wink2:

I like the trac II, the mach3, and the Schick hydros, but my favorite cart razor is the fusion proglide power w/ flexball. Don't laugh, it really does give me the best shave I've ever had, plus I like the edging blade on the top of the cart. The one I'm using now has lasted 14 shaves for me so far, so it has pretty good longevity too. Of course, I still use my tech on the weekends for a more attentive shave.

For any of you gents who enjoy a cartridge razor and would like a subforum dedicated to its discussion (or even if you don't and want the declutter the General Shaving Discussion forum of those pesky daily cartridge threads), there's currently an open poll gauging if there's sufficient interest. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/466207-Would-you-be-interested-in-a-Cart-Razor-sub-forum

I haven't used a cartridge since I started with a DE last December. Even before then, I struggled with irritation so much that I was more inclined to keep my goatee and moustache rather than shave those troublesome areas.
However, when I did, I found that more blades definitely meant more pain for me. I'd invariably buy the cheapest disposable razors at the supermarket, preferably with as few blades as possible. I fondly remember being 13 and shaving for the first time - I had so little facial hair the razor wasn't really capable of doing me any harm.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

proxy.php

It is a single blade. Which I guess would make it a single edge razor?

I think that's why it is so comfortable and why I like it so much. Just one blade, quite the blade gap too. So it rinses off with just a dip in water.

I can get 4 good shaves on one cart, and they are cheap when compared to the multiblade stuff on the market. WCS sells one cart for 50 cents and the handle for 2 bucks ( I think it's 2 bucks).

Here's a review and some PICs

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/411570-First-Impressions-by-Toothpick-Gillette-Guard

Although I use traditional wet shaving about 95% of the time, I have many carts of various flavors. For many years I have used the Trac II/Atra, with excellent results and still use my carts whenever the mood strikes, traveling, or time is a factor.

I thoroughly enjoy using the many available tools in wet shaving.

From many of the posts here, I think the Trac II/Atra just happened to be one of those razors that provided a wonderful shave at a reasonable cost for cartridges.

Is the guard really that good? I hear many positive comments regarding it.

Why is this thread in the single edge forum?

Single edge razors are razors that have a blade edge on one side of the head as opposed to a double edge that has a blade edge on both sides of the head

A razor with multiple single edge blades is still single edge.

I've not seen a multi blade razor that has edges on more than one edge/side of the head.

Single edge razors are razors that have a blade edge on one side of the head as opposed to a double edge that has a blade edge on both sides of the head

A razor with multiple single edge blades is still single edge.

I've not seen a multi blade razor that has edges on more than one edge/side of the head.

This is a very good distinction between "single edge" and "single blade."

I am thankful for Bic Metal - one edge, fixed head cheap disposable razor. I am not sure can it be called a cartridge razor as it has no changeable parts. It was my last go-to razor before I came back to DE.
When I tried Bic after some 3-blade Gillette cartridge, I noted it was much better for me. I found that one blade makes difference. Then I recalled my memories about one blade DE razors that I used some 20+ years ago and .... I had no skin problems back then! This revelation led me to google for DE razors, I found Badger and blade and then was my final return to traditional shaving.
If I had no DE razor, I would use Bic Metal again. And I am sure I would get nice results with technique I have now... Maybe I will try them again some day, why not.
And really - it is a single edge razor :)))))

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is the guard really that good? I hear many positive comments regarding it.

I think you answered your own question :thumbup1:

I've used many different carts in my life. Sensor, Mach 3, ProGlide, Fusion Ball thingy, Feather cart system, Bic disposables, even a ladies cart (Venus?) once or twice.....

The Guard crushes them IMO. And it's because of the simplistic design. It just works!

Top Bottom