What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

I'm shaving my face every day with a DE razor and shave my head every-other-day with a Mach III. I can shave my head with a DE razor, but the Mach III is so much easier, especially behind the ears. I still like using a cartridge razor. When I travel I just use disposables which honestly I still like using occasionally (I don't travel much...)

I shaved for a couple of decades with an Atra before moving to a Fusion. The two big advantages of the Fusion are that it's quick, and I can typically get two months out of a cartridge (which is good because I don't have to tell you how pricey they are).

That is one beautiful handle. I'll be interesting to see how the heavy weight handle performs. I bet it works beautifully

Actually, that particular handle is the wrong angle. It has a nice weight but approaches the face badly. To realign the angle destroys the enjoyment of the shave, as it does not allow the blade to work to its best advantage.

Thank you for your response, this was very strange to me because I know when I was buying fusion carts I've never seen this thing.

I started using a double edged razor only this past April. I've been primarily using a Mach III for the last 2 to 3 decades. I will still bring my Mach III with me when I travel and carry on my luggage, which is most of the time. But if I am traveling by car, I'll bring a double edge. I find that I can get a decent shave when coupled with a nice cream and brush.

I'm very fond of the Gillette Trac II or GII as they are called in Europe. I use the vintage blades I can finf, without that stupid lubrastrip.

I'm a Harry's user. I know a lot of guys have great luck with DE's unfortunately I'm just not one of them. I still have my DE89 but use it only once in a while.

The reason I like Harry's is because they make their own product and they look very classy. Even with 5 blades, it's very forgiving on my skin and the build of the cartridge ensures proper angle for me so I don't have to think about it and I'm able to just enjoy the ritual.

Now, just because I don't use a DE very often doesn't mean I've bailed on the other things I've learned. Proper prep and 3 passes with little to no pressure and I'm a BBS happy camper every time with Harry's.

gauloises46,

I share your opinion about the Harrys razors appearing more classy than their competition. I think their new blade shows willingness to listen to customers, and to try to give us, within reason, what we want. I also get a good shave from their products, and with reasonable comfort.

I, like you, am one of those unfortunates who have romance for: fine (spelled expensive), DE razors, SE razors, and super-badger brushes. The problem is they all irritate MY skin more than a razor with a top- notch cartridge and really good canned gel or foam does. Your post forced me to admit this to myself. Thanks,

Ron I

gauloises46,

I share your opinion about the Harrys razors appearing more classy than their competition. I think their new blade shows willingness to listen to customers, and to try to give us, within reason, what we want. I also get a good shave from their products, and with reasonable comfort.

I, like you, am one of those unfortunates who have romance for: fine (spelled expensive), DE razors, SE razors, and super-badger brushes. The problem is they all irritate MY skin more than a razor with a top- notch cartridge and really good canned gel or foam does. Your post forced me to admit this to myself. Thanks,

Ron I

From what I gather around this forum, YMMV applies to everyone. I'm also a fan of Harry's gel. In fact the scent is second to none for me. I still like to use a brush to apply it and I've noticed that I can take the same size dab that I would have applied to my face for one pass, put it on my brush and lather it up in my bowl, and I can get a solid 3 pass shave from that one dab. Definitely less wasteful than applying a new squirt for each pass. I know canned gel isn't favored around here, but in Harry's defense they do boast natural ingredients on their website for the gel.

When I want to whip up a lather without the accelerated feature of their gel, I still bust out the Dove expert shave though. Love that stuff too!

What really changed my enjoyment of shaving and appreciating the ritual of it was all in the prep. I used to be the guy who would wake up, slap on a little barbasol, scrape it off with a Mach 3 and dread the next time I have to do it again. Now though thanks to the guys on here and several youtubers I look forward to my next shave and I'm glad I found products that work great for me. I'll never hate on the guys who love the DE and Straights though. Because as everyone says YMMV.

Last edited:
Today I was in a hurry and I did not have a time to search for my DE blades package (yes it's possible to loose it because I played with it :blush:)
Decided I'll use mach 3, after first quick pass I choose to go atg which I NEVER do. Mach 3 just glided through a stubble and I was stunned. I do expect irritation to show up during a day or at least tomorrow morning.
On another thread I said that friend asked me about safety razors (he's a fellow wet shaver but only uses gillette disposables with pivot head) I pif-ed him wilkie with diffrent blades. If he does not like it I'll say buy manual mach 3 or fusion and stick with it.
I now have great expectations for fatip piccolo I'll order.

Under normal circumstances, I use either a DE or Schick injector. I'm particularly partial to the injectors. However, traveling is a different issue. In that case, I will use a Trac II handle with a Dollar General Korean-made twin blade Cart. They cost me $1.50 for 6. I've found I prefer them to the Personna's. The lube strip is unobtrusive, and they last me about 8-10 shaves. I've tried the Personna twin pivot but the lube strip just bothers me.
I will on occasion, use the twin blade cart when not traveling, just for the change of it. But I've really found that the prep is probably the most important part of a comfortable shave.

I am relatively new to wet shaving, having used carts for years. I shave 6 days a week and still use carts most of the time, as shaving with my new DE razor takes too long and I still get a better shave from carts. I am sure it is my technique that is the issue and intend to work on it after the summer is over, when I have a bit more time. I just really enjoy the soaps/creams and the way they make my face feel.

I used to use the Gillette fusion but have switched to Dorco carts. Much cheaper and I get the same quality shave. Mostly use the Dorco 6/7 blade carts as the ones with fewer blades just don' work well on my beard.

When I started out with DE it took me 20 minutes to shave, but with practice I'm down to 10.

If I had a more efficient razor I think I could take a few minutes off.

I am relatively new to wet shaving, having used carts for years. I shave 6 days a week and still use carts most of the time, as shaving with my new DE razor takes too long and I still get a better shave from carts. I am sure it is my technique that is the issue and intend to work on it after the summer is over, when I have a bit more time. I just really enjoy the soaps/creams and the way they make my face feel.

I used to use the Gillette fusion but have switched to Dorco carts. Much cheaper and I get the same quality shave. Mostly use the Dorco 6/7 blade carts as the ones with fewer blades just don' work well on my beard.

use what ever works for you, just have a good prep.
I see carts just as any other razor combination, someone likes de89 with feather, someone like R41 with derby, and some people prefer mach 3 with regular carts and some prefer m3 turbo carts. In the end use whatever gives you the best shave, that's why we're here. If you occasionally use DE your technique will improve, it will take just a little more time

use what ever works for you, just have a good prep.
I see carts just as any other razor combination, someone likes de89 with feather, someone like R41 with derby, and some people prefer mach 3 with regular carts and some prefer m3 turbo carts. In the end use whatever gives you the best shave, that's why we're here. If you occasionally use DE your technique will improve, it will take just a little more time

+1 to what was already said... what ever gives you a good shave. One thing you can do to maybe make things more enjoyable is still use a good soap and your brush!! Nothing says you cant...

+1 to what was already said... what ever gives you a good shave. One thing you can do to maybe make things more enjoyable is still use a good soap and your brush!! Nothing says you cant...

I think good prep, cartridge razor, brush and cream/soap give a great shave even with one pass. Of course more frequent rinsing is required. If I'm using carts I'll always use my cream for sensitive skin, gives a great lather, and then I leave it for 45sec-1min and have a great shave in only one pass.

@OP what safety razor are you using and which blades?
Try doing 2 passes WTG with safety on one cheek and one pass WTG with cart on another. As time will go you can compare results on both cheeks and it will tell if your technique has improved or not.

Top Bottom