What's new

Son of Zeus melting experiment

I received a container of Razorock Son of Zeus tallow version from Luxury Barber in this month's box. I was excited to try the tallow based soap, but I just didn't care for the fragrance. I felt like it would be complemented by adding some lavender to it.

Before reading the "Don't ever melt tallow" threads, I put about ten drops of lavender and six drops of eucalyptus essential oils in it, and nuked it for twenty seconds. Then I stirred it up, and threw it back in for ten more to make it easier to flatten back out.

An hour later, it's no longer as hard as it was. It's more the consistency of Dr Jon's. Other than that, it seems to lather and perform as well as before, and I think it smells better.

Has anyone had success melting tallow soaps, or altering the scent of a soap?

The "no nuke" rule applies to triple milled or other hard soaps. Artisan soaps can be melted - we call it "rebatching" - usually accomplished by grating or chopping up the soap, adding a few drops of water to moisten, and nuking in short bursts and stirring it until it's evenly melted. It's done by some artisans to individually scent from a master batch. It doesn't matter if the soap is predominantly tallow or palm. But the "don't ever microwave tallow soaps" myth persists.

The "no nuke" rule applies to triple milled or other hard soaps. Artisan soaps can be melted - we call it "rebatching" - usually accomplished by grating or chopping up the soap, adding a few drops of water to moisten, and nuking in short bursts and stirring it until it's evenly melted. It's done by some artisans to individually scent from a master batch. It doesn't matter if the soap is predominantly tallow or palm. But the "don't ever microwave tallow soaps" myth persists.

Wow! Thank you so much for the insight! It's still a lot softer than it was, but it seems to lather just as well.

If I get real ambitious this winter, when it's cold and there's nothing to do in Ohio, I might like to try making my own soap. It just seems like a natural progression into this hobby.

Thanks again!

I wasn't a fan of SoZ at first, but on the 3rd use it actually became one of my favorites. I now love the aftershave too.

Top Bottom