What's new

Rive Gauche?

So I'm usually a fan of orange based scents, but have heard a lot about Rive Gauche and how it's "Barbasol" like, which I'm pretty big into. Wanted to get some thoughts about the fragrance and see if you all thought the recent version would be worth finding a sample?

Just a thought...I read YSL Jazz is similar, but stronger on cinnamon and not star anise, which I think is what threw me from Azzaro. Anyone care to talk about Jazz compared to Rive Gauche if they know?

I'm not even sure if that's the note that threw me off, as it's the only fragrance I've tried where it was the absolute main note. But I'm pretty sure it was!

I can't comment on either, but I'm with you on anise. Detestable stuff :)

If you're going to buy Rive Gauche, buy the juice in the black and silver can. In the past six months or so, this cologne has grown in popularity. Increase demand unfortunately leads to an increase in price. Buy it, if you don't like it trade it or BST. Good luck.

If you're going to buy Rive Gauche, buy the juice in the black and silver can. In the past six months or so, this cologne has grown in popularity. Increase demand unfortunately leads to an increase in price. Buy it, if you don't like it trade it or BST. Good luck.

Shawn1, I believe you're seeing the increased pricing for the canned version because YSL has reformulated Rive Gauche and put it in a bottle. The supply of the can is diminishing every day, like Floid Blue. I bought a can of Rive Gauche a couple of months ago for $30 more than it would have cost me six months ago. I didn't trust the bottle, and wanted to have the classic version.

I have Rive Gauche in the black and silver can. I have 2, actually. I bought the can version because I think it looks cool. I read a review a while back that the glass bottle version is the same stuff. I'll believe it when I try it for myself, but IIRC, the fragrance was moved to a glass bottle and the price was cranked up.

I have both the can and bottle version and they both smell the same to me. I bought Rive Gauche because it was meant to smell like Fine"American Blend" but, it doesn't. Still, I do like it. I've bought and tried most of the barbershop frags. The one that I like the best, which is a bit of a dark horse and never gets mentioned, is Dunhill "Icon". Love that juice. It came out this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtD0446kfQ

I have both the can and bottle version and they both smell the same to me. I bought Rive Gauche because it was meant to smell like Fine"American Blend" but, it doesn't. Still, I do like it. I've bought and tried most of the barbershop frags. The one that I like the best, which is a bit of a dark horse and never gets mentioned, is Dunhill "Icon". Love that juice. It came out this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtD0446kfQ

I've had Dunhill Icon on my mind since I read a good review about it. It sounds quite nice. I maintain that you cannot go wrong with Rive Gauche. It's unoffensive, masculine and "grown up", IMO. It is also one of those scents that I always believe to become a skin scent rather quickly, only to be proven wrong by somebody telling me I smell nice. This has reminded me to go easy on the trigger despite my own sense of smell.

I've had Dunhill Icon on my mind since I read a good review about it. It sounds quite nice. I maintain that you cannot go wrong with Rive Gauche. It's unoffensive, masculine and "grown up", IMO. It is also one of those scents that I always believe to become a skin scent rather quickly, only to be proven wrong by somebody telling me I smell nice. This has reminded me to go easy on the trigger despite my own sense of smell.
Yeah, Dunhill "Icon" was a surprise find. I was given a sample of it after purchasing Penhaligon's Sartorial. The Lavender, Vetiver and Black pepper is what make it for me. A really nice high class barbershop fragrance. The bonus being my wife loves it too.

Yeah, Dunhill "Icon" was a surprise find. I was given a sample of it after purchasing Penhaligon's Sartorial. The Lavender, Vetiver and Black pepper is what make it for me. A really nice high class barbershop fragrance. The bonus being my wife loves it too.

Well, if she's happy, that is a success. How did you find the longevity with Dunhill Icon? I'm reading some reviews that are critical in that category, accusing the scent of being fleeting.

Well, if she's happy, that is a success. How did you find the longevity with Dunhill Icon? I'm reading some reviews that are critical in that category, accusing the scent of being fleeting.
Not at all fleeting on me. I'm getting about 8 to 9 hours and my wife can smell it on me well after that.. Although, when I used the sample on my wrist it would last only a few hours and that did concern me a bit before I made the purchase.

Not at all fleeting on me. I'm getting about 8 to 9 hours and my wife can smell it on me well after that.. Although, when I used the sample on my wrist it would last only a few hours and that did concern me a bit before I made the purchase.

That's an interesting observation. Many people use a small sample and declare a fragrance to be weak, longevity wise. Having used an atomizer from a bottle, or a proper dousing from a sample changes things.

Man...Rive Gauche is one I'd like to try. I have a growing list of things that I want to try and I'm continually forgetting items that I want to try. I haven't gotten so sophisticated that I actually create a handwritten list or anything, but this far in...I probably should. Also added, Dunhill "Icon"...thanks guys for all the feedback. One of the many reasons I love this site!

Top Bottom