What's new

Curry time

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I enjoy a curry every now and then.
I have only made a few from scratch, this is my first Rogan Josh.

This is what was used plus a couple of onions.
$20150829_133602.jpg

The smell of fresh ground spice is hard to beat. I used ghee ( clarified butter ) as well.

$20150829_135629.jpg

basically just sautéed the onion in a tablespoon of ghee, added spice, garlic, ginger & plain yogurt. combined well. added the tomatoes and cooked out for 5 minutes. added lamb stirred to coat well, on with the lid and I placed it the oven to cook.
If anyone wants the full recipe I will write it up.

So what type of curry do you guys like to make?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would love a full write up. I have been cheating so far with my curry adventure- I need to start doing it from scratch.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
will do Owen. I don't call it cheating using a store bought paste myself. It gives you a good base for a curry.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Rogan Josh (from The essential Asian cookbook)

1kg/2lbs Lamb
1 tablespoon ghee or oil
2 medium onions chopped
½ cup yoghurt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon salt
400gram / 13oz can chopped tomatoes
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
3 teaspoons garam masala
Chopped coriander (Cilantro) leaves to garnish

Cut lamb into 25mm/1 inch cubes.
Heat ghee or oil in a large pan: add onion and cook till soft.Add the yoghurt, chilli powder, coriander, cumin, cardamom, cloves, turmeric,garlic and ginger. Combine well. Add salt and undrained tomatoes, and simmeruncovered for 5 minutes.
Add the lamb, stir until coated. Cover and cook for 1 to1.5 hours until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer untilthe liquid is thick.
Sprinkle the lamb with garam masala and mix in.
Serve with almonds and garnish with coriander leaves.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris. What is the difference between Indian curries and Asian ones?

The Rogan Josh is Indian. My cook book covers many Countries hence the name and is not just about curry.
China, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, India , Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

I like a Thai green curry. as a example the Thai use coconut milk and lemon grass a lot. They balance the meal with hot/salt, sweet/sour.
for salt they use fish sauce. I need to make one from scratch soon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The Rogan Josh is Indian. My cook book covers many Countries hence the name and is not just about curry.
China, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, India , Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

I like a Thai green curry. as a example the Thai use coconut milk and lemon grass a lot. They balance the meal with hot/salt, sweet/sour.
for salt they use fish sauce. I need to make one from scratch soon.
Ah, thanks. I may need to explore Thai curry, too.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK all done.......well it was done a while ago but was too early to eat.

Served with almonds, ok but would leave them out next time. No Coriander.
Taste was very nice. I may have made it too hot for the wife, ah what do ya do.
I used birds eye chilli to grind to a powder. These little suckers come with some heat. As with all things chilli use type and amount to your taste.
This was a good heat for me but the wife may no agree.

$20150829_172700.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks guys. A curry does not look pretty IMO but this tasted great. The lamb was cooked to perfection.
I kept going back to the pot for a just one more piece, just one more.

Top Bottom