What's new

Curry time

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris. I will make this one again, may try the other recipe I posted above next time.

The cutting board is made from recycled North American Oregon, roof trusses from a hospital demolished in NZ
It is too large to go in the cupboards or sit on its end on the bench top, so I hang it on a wall with some brackets.
Great board for the bigger jobs.

The only thing I would do different with this Rogan Josh is make my own garam masala. Looks very simple.
Here's an example. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garam-masala-spice-blend/

The cutting board is made from recycled North American Oregon, roof trusses from a hospital demolished in NZ
It is too large to go in the cupboards or sit on its end on the bench top, so I hang it on a wall with some brackets.
Great board for the bigger jobs.

That's super cool! Thanks for sharing.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Time to bump. I had my first Thai curry today. I got green curry with beef from this place: http://www.dasianthai.com/ I asked if they made it extra hot, and the lovely waitress said their scale was 1 to 5. I went with 5. It had enough heat to open the sinuses and cause a small sweat, but not so much to put a person on the floor. It was very tasty- I think it was the coconut milk that made it for me.

I used to make some mean curries - my favourites were made from leftover turkey meat and leftover pork meat, and were quite healthy too, from memory......
Turkey Curry- A favourite on Boxing Day
3x Coarsely chopped red onions + 3x finely chopped white onions sweated in a little oil
2x cloves finely chopped garlic
Ground garam masala, ground turmeric, ground cumin, hot paprika, crushed green cardamon pods - to taste
6x finely chopped tomatoes
A little water, simmer until the tomatoes and water reduce down to a thick sauce
Leftover turkey meat stirred in to the sauce
Simmer on a low heat for 1 hour adding a little water if the mixture becomes too dry
Serve with rice

Quick + Easy Thai Style Pork & Pineapple Curry
4x coarsely chopped onions sweated in a little oil
2x thumb sized pieces of fresh ginger cut into 'matchsticks'
Fresh or canned pineapple cut into pieces + juice
Thai green curry paste - to taste
1x large can coconut milk
Simmer until sauce has reduced slightly
Add string beans, mangetouts and leftover pork
Simmer until string beans soften
Serve with rice

Thai Style Pork & Orange Stew
4x coarsely chopped onions sweated in a little oil
Zest from 4x large oranges
Segments and juice from 4x large oranges
Thai red curry paste to taste
1x large can coconut milk
Simmer until sauce has reduced slightly
Add string beans, whole baby carrots (or carrots cut into batons) and leftover pork
Simmer until carrots and string beans soften
Serve with rice

I also made a similar version with leftover chicken, frozen prawns, a fresh lemon, fresh limes, string beans, mangetouts, green curry paste and coconut milk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just had the rest of my green curry. I must have got some on my finger, because I just rubbed my eye and it is burning. Curry is not good for your eyesight. :biggrin:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There are a lot of really great vegetable curries as well. I recall going to an Indian buffet for brunch 100 years ago. After trying some of the meat curries I decided to have some carrots that I thought looked cooling. WRONG! The curried carrots were hotter than any other dish on the buffet that I had tried. Face red and sweating I must have gulped down three glasses of water in under five minutes.

God I love curry.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There are a lot of really great vegetable curries as well. I recall going to an Indian buffet for brunch 100 years ago. After trying some of the meat curries I decided to have some carrots that I thought looked cooling. WRONG! The curried carrots were hotter than any other dish on the buffet that I had tried. Face red and sweating I must have gulped down three glasses of water in under five minutes.

God I love curry.

Those are my type of carrots. The face red sweating thing is a bonus.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Time to bump. I had my first Thai curry today. I got green curry with beef from this place: http://www.dasianthai.com/ I asked if they made it extra hot, and the lovely waitress said their scale was 1 to 5. I went with 5. It had enough heat to open the sinuses and cause a small sweat, but not so much to put a person on the floor. It was very tasty- I think it was the coconut milk that made it for me.

I like a Thai green curry. The sweet/sour hot/salty balance is so nice.
Now I know a lot of people knock curry pastes but I find a green curry paste and a few other ingredients makes a quick and tasty meal.

Growing up my grandmother had a curry recipe that I grew up thinking was kind of the equivalent of "clean out the fridge" stew. It started with about a dozen different spices and some oil. Then whatever meat and veggies we had on hand were added. It was an Indian style of curry and is what I associated with curry growing up.

Fast forward to getting married and learning that there is also an Asian version of curry that my mother in law (and wife) make. The spicing is very different but adding the meat and veggies and simmering for a long time part is the same... I also found out that they "cheat" by using a mix for the spicing.

Not sure which style I like better and it may be a case of some days I crave one more than the other and other times it is the other way around.

Ruckin.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
home made curry is all well and good, but it never quite matches up to a good takeaway or meal in an indian restaurant.

Real Indian curry are made in homes in India. It's the western restaurants that don't quite match the real thing.

Curry is now confirmed as England's favourite national dish with over 9,000 curry houses in the U.K.
You can't beat a good Ruby Murray ( curry ) we had a great one last night at our local washed down with a couple of pints of Cobra .

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
home made curry is all well and good, but it never quite matches up to a good takeaway or meal in an indian restaurant.

Real Indian curry are made in homes in India. It's the western restaurants that don't quite match the real thing.

It's not without a good try on our side (I'm talking about home). We've got the Indian markets to buy all the spices. It's the know how that is lacking. Youtube helps.

Last edited:
I would love a full write up. I have been cheating so far with my curry adventure- I need to start doing it from scratch.
same with me. I grew up with my mom using curry powder and I've done the same. To actually create the taste from real ingredients is fascinating to me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Curry procurement thwarted again. The wife wanted a Cucos Deluxe- that is just a Cuban, but after it comes out of the press it gets lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. I do find it hard to turn one of those down. I also had my first cafe con leche- where has this piece of magic been all my life?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mango curry time. The last time I was at the place I was told their heat scale was 1-5. I had a different server this time, and he said it was actually 1 to 10. I decided on 7. Glad I didn't go 8
$image.jpg

Top Bottom