What's new

My Very First PIF For Those who want to try Straight Razor Shaving

Wow! I used my new razor this morning - very tentatively, I might add. My first time with a true straight, only shavettes before now. Something about a cutting edge twice the length of a shavette blade got my attention! I just did the first pass WTG with the straight and finished with my DE and it is far and away the closest shave I've ever gotten.

The feel of the straight is completely different from the shavette. Still need to be careful with the light touch, etc... but so much more comfortable. I'm hooked and can't wait for tomorrow! Thanks again, Nate, for the wonderful opportunity to get in to this brave new world!

Alan.

Good Morning Alan!

I am SO Relieved that you liked the shave. You are officially the first person to ever use an edge I honed myself. I was very, very nervous about doing this PIF because although I like the edges I put on the razors I shave with, that is not a guarantee that others will like them. Edges are so incredibly subjective it isn't even funny which is clearly evident in several threads around here.

I am so glad you are enjoying the Straight and a very BIG Welcome to the Straight Shave Arena!
Sincerely;
Nate

Sorry I haven't posted recently, life showed up in the form of family emergency and then my toddlers birthday. My first shave went quite well until after I did the mustache area during the first pass. Is it possible to goof up the edge on a tough area? I did the "scooping" ish motion necessary to get all the way up to the nose, and after words it didn't want to cut as well. Which led to a small disaster on the chin area. I forced it even though I knew I should not and ended up with a nice gash ~1 inch long x 1/8 inch deep. I haven't tried again since as I want to make sure I'm fully healed first. I had a question, however, it almost looks as thought the edge is bent over a little bit, but I can straighten it as though it were aluminum foil. Is the edge of a straight razor normally that soft/flexible, or did I maybe damage it doing the scoop motion on the mustache area? $image.jpg
I couldn't get a very good picture of it, but I'm referring to the glare almost right in the middle.

Sorry that picture is even less clear on here than it is on my phone. I couldn't get it to focus on the edge. I also forgot to add that the shave went quite well up until I drew blood. It was definitely fun to undertake the new challenge. Thanks again for the oppurtunity, it's not something I'm able to jump in investment-wise at this point, so this is definitely appreciated!

Last edited:
I fully understand that darned "Life" thing getting in the way my Friend. Ouch yes the edge does look to be rolled on it in the center area. I would definitely advise holding off on using it until that gets fixed. If you like you are more than welcome to send it back to me and I will go ahead and fix it up for ya and get her ready to shave again. I personally have never rolled an edge on my whiskers but I can see that if I had gotten that edge overly fine it definitely could happen. I am definitely willing to put her to the stones and get it back up and running for ya though my Friend. Just ship it to me and I will ship it back as soon as I get it honed back up:thumbup:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yes, it looks like that piece of the edge needs some attention. BTW as you've discovered, forcing a straight is a baaaad baaad idea.

Exactly What Sam Said, do not force the shave on these babies. I hurt myself pretty good when I first started doing that myself.

Top Bottom