What's new

Yellow Green Escher

Thin Section Slide.

Finally - I think I sent this out in May. Ironically, I probably won't be able to get it on the scope for a few days.

This section is 30µm thick, no cover slip or sealing/polishing.

$Escher Thin Section.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
No problem, glad I could help out.
I know very little about scopes and slides and such. What's the benefit of having a thin section slide like that?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am soooo lost, but then again, if you ask SWMBO, that's pretty much par for the course with me. :tongue_sm

Depends on the sample...
In this case - the dimension isn't so critical in too many ways for what I'm doing. The 30µm slice is just SOP for this work, although thicker sections can be ordered and used. Depends on your lighting technique, and sample type.

The biggest thing here is that the surface is uber flat and parellel to the slide. Even with a 5x objective, miniscule variances in surface dimensions limit your ability to see everyting in the FOV clearly; the depth of field is crazy shallow.
Imagine a very tiny volcano, the size of a grain of salt, sitting crater-up on a slide.
You'll get the top edge of the crater in focus, but not the base. If you get the base, you lose the crater.

Thin Section Slide.

Finally - I think I sent this out in May. Ironically, I probably won't be able to get it on the scope for a few days.

This section is 30µm thick, no cover slip or sealing/polishing.

View attachment 596974
I can't really figure out what I'm looking at. What is the significance of the yellow paper? And what is the wedge shaped item?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Depends on the sample...
In this case - the dimension isn't so critical in too many ways for what I'm doing. The 30µm slice is just SOP for this work, although thicker sections can be ordered and used. Depends on your lighting technique, and sample type.

The biggest thing here is that the surface is uber flat and parellel to the slide. Even with a 5x objective, miniscule variances in surface dimensions limit your ability to see everyting in the FOV clearly; the depth of field is crazy shallow.
Imagine a very tiny volcano, the size of a grain of salt, sitting crater-up on a slide.
You'll get the top edge of the crater in focus, but not the base. If you get the base, you lose the crater.
Ahh, makes sense. So this way the entire image is perfectly clear and in focus. Cool. Has this been done before? I know there's lots of good high mag pics out there, just wondering if this is the first time someone has taken the time to get an actual slide made like this?

The wedgy piece is the host piece that the sample was cut from.
The yellow paper is like a mini Post-it - so you can get the slide out of the cardboard holder easily.

Top Bottom