What's new

Yellow Green Escher

Ahh, makes sense. So this way the entire image is perfectly clear and in focus. Cool. Has this been done before? I know there's lots of good high mag pics out there, just wondering if this is the first time someone has taken the time to get an actual slide made like this?

No its done regularly on geological topics...it was done on thuris in the past, Hatzicho showed a thin cut ones but as it was a picture in an old literature and it was in B/W....

Cutting the slide costs around 30€ here in germany, i had an offer from a geologist from the university of Freiburg, but then you need someone interpreting the thin cut and that what you can see there ;-)

No its done regularly on geological topics...it was done on thuris in the past, Hatzicho showed a thin cut ones but as it was a picture in an old literature and it was in B/W....

Cutting the slide costs around 30€ here in germany, i had an offer from a geologist from the university of Freiburg, but then you need someone interpreting the thin cut and that what you can see there ;-)

Generally speaking - using thin sections is common in most microscopy disciplines - not just geological concerns. Microtomes were designed for cutting thin samples, and cover slips help to create a similar topography.

The alternative to this is 'stacking' the images - which takes exponentially longer to do and that isn't always a 100% accurate rendition because there's usually some 'fudging' to do with the finished result. The visual impact is tremendous though.

Basically - you take a series of images with each frame focused on a different 'point' in the DOF.
Then you run it through Pshop or another program to combine them - the end result, hopefully, becomes a composite where the subject is in-focus everywhere.

If I can stabilize this scope well enough I'll probably do a few 'stacks'. Right now this beast sits on my drafting table, and there's too much movement. My eye doesn't record the blur but the camera does. As it is - I can only shoot late at night when everything is super still. I didn't get this rig to do stacking, so investing in a support to isolate it from vibrations isn't high on my to-do list.

At the end of the day though, one photo from one scope taken of one sample doesn't mean a whole lot. Even if you interpret the data correctly, it's only one interpretation of one small sample. Mostly - I wanted to do this just to do it so I can compare the visualization off the thin-section to one from the rough sample. Reading about stuff if fine, seeing it in person is what matters most.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
So, if I understand correctly, we have a thin slice of an escher shaved off and slide-mounted for analysis under a microscope? If so, excellent!
(yes, I really am that dense.)

^
Yep. Well - visualizing, not so much analysis. Images, if they turn out well, would have to go to a geologist familiar with that type of stone to be analyzed.

You need an air table to stabilize the microscope. You could try putting the legs of the table in buckets of sand to help cut down on vibration too.
In our facility we use air tables run off of N2 for the best results. I would think it would becost prohibited for most people though. Keep the table off the wall too.

You need an air table to stabilize the microscope. You could try putting the legs of the table in buckets of sand to help cut down on vibration too.
In our facility we use air tables run off of N2 for the best results. I would think it would becost prohibited for most people though. Keep the table off the wall too.

If the budget would allow - I'd have one already.
But - Even a breadboard is out of the question.
I think I can jury rig my own isolation table - I have a few designs bouncing around in my head. A friend of mine does stacking with a converted Polaroid MP3 rig - we've been discussion options. It's a low priority project at the moment though.

Top Bottom