What's new

New forum member

Hello from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I've been a lurker for a while, mostly reading up on the reviews of various creams and expensive fragrances, but decided to get into the business of replying here and then for a bit. Why not become a member of a forum in the Netherlands, I hear you ask---well, there isn't any.

I've been wetshaving for 18 years now, although it's only been the last few months that I've actually enjoyed myself. This was due to vastly improved technique thanks to forums like this one, and the discovery of nicely smelling shaving products so that I'm not limited to what supermarkets and drugstores pick out for me any longer. I've already passed through the phase in which I had to try any cream or soap I could lay my hands on; nowadays I will only purchase a brand after sampling it, and then only if it comes in both a cream (or soap) and an aftershave or edt.

Now for the most sacriligeous part of my introduction: I use neither DE nor straight. I use M3Power blades, but have abandoned the silly vibrating handle. However, I apply many of the techniques found in DE shaving with very good results: my blades last quite long, I shave regularly, I am BBS at the end of it, and there's no razor burn or bumps whatsoever. I did try a DE the other day, but decided I'll pay the Gillette tax for a while longer. Not because the second shave was bad (the first was very painful for reasons I've not been able to ascertain) but simply because it will take many months of practice to get the DE skills up at an equal level. I'm too lazy to put in the time at the moment, and lucky that I don't need to either, both in shave quality as well as financially.

That's all.

Cymric --

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you here. You'll find that there are a number of B&B members who are from the Netherlands.

Good Introduction.

-- John Gehman

Welcome. We have quite a few Dutch members here. As for your razor choice: the forum is all about getting the best shave for you. If cartridges give you the best shave, then by all means use them. So what creams and soaps are you currently using?

Glad to hear that you have stopped lurking and are now participating. I look forward to hearing how thing go and what you think of the different products you use.

Welcome to the board!

I'm a recent convert to wetshaving, and an even more recent convert to DE razors. Now I'm hooked, and the ADs are rearing their ugly heads. You will be assimilated, but don't worry, it'll be fun.

Welcome! Amsterdam is also one of my favorite places in the known universe. A very sophisticated city.

It's good to hear you've improved with time and suggestions here. Many DE techniques can be applied even with an M3 of some kind. For instance, before I started with a DE last month I was using a good shaving cream which helped to keep the skin on my face.

But DEs or straight razors are even better. :biggrin:

Cordially,
M. Talleyrand

So what creams and soaps are you currently using?
I went through about a dozen creams and soaps before I decided that blindly following the latest cream, and using it a few times, while others were pining away in the bathroom closet, was not a good idea. Nowadays I'll try samples first, or in case that is not possible, ask for samples of the matching aftershave or edt. Beyond a certain price all creams are more or less equal in quality, or, perhaps more precisely phrased, the shaves I get out of them do not vary in a way I am able to notice. In other words, I'm much more into the scent of a product, and this helps to stifle the purchase disorder to a considerable degree. Unfortunately, in its place is now begging for samples disorder :cool:.

I'm more or of a cream than a soap guy. I find creams to be simply more convenient in measuring out the amount I'd like to use; also, their lathers are generally softer and richer. Finally, it takes me more time to get a good lather out of a soap than it does out of a cream.

That all said and done, in my current (random) rotation at the moment are Tabac soap + aftershave, Taylor Eton College cream + aftershave, and T&H Grafton cream + aftershave. I also have two tubes of Bodyshop and Lavera cream stashed away which I use on occasion. Tabac is my 'token scent' so to speak; I've been using it for a decade now, and was extremely pleased to find out that it comes in a soap, too. Tabac soap is fairly easy to get a lather out of, and that's why I use this product rather than the cream. Eton College is a terrific classical scent which grew on me quite rapidly; I wish the aftershave were a better match, even though I like it all the same. Grafton was an unexpected find: initially I was after T&H's Limes, but found out that it takes on a decidedly unpleasant undertone. Trafalgar was too spicy, but Grafton had a quality I didn't know I liked before. So now I have a tub of the stuff as well as a very expensive (and manually spiked) bottle of its aftershave in my bathroom.

Currently I'm quite certain that Trumper GFT cream + cologne will make it into my collection, despite the fact that very much unfortunately the cologne is not a long-lasting affair on me. I adore its bittersweet-fresh scent which is quite unique. I'm on the fence about Floris Santal: great, great fragrance, but really too heavy for me to use it regularly. This would be a product for rare or cold occasions, and I'm not quite sure it'd be worth the money then. As a gift I'd accept it, but to buy it myself... In the mail are samples from Penhaligon's and Castle Forbes, and hopefully Acca Kappa too. After these have arriced I'm going to cut down on samples for the time being: for one thing I'm building up quite a collection, and for the other is that there are not that many brands out there any more which produce affordable cream/soap + aftershave/edt. Creed produces a few nice things, but these are simply too expensive. Castle Forbes is about as far as I want to go, and even that is already beyond a certain limit.

Of course, you're all welcome to send me your left-over creams and colognes :biggrin:.

Welcome, cymric!

Nice to have you here! Some people have skin that will tolerate multi-blade razors. They do get the job done fairly quickly. Eventually, you'll "need" a good DE razor, and some good blades to go with it. Then, you'll start basking in your shaves, and you'll find that time to be a very enjoyable experience. The learning curve isn't so bad. Regardless of razor choice, I think that we all were clumsy in the beginning.

Once again, welcome to B&B!

Ciao,
chop-chop

Eventually, you'll "need" a good DE razor, and some good blades to go with it.
No, I'll 'need' a straight. That is, after I convince my sweetheart that I won't do anything stupid with it, like, oohhh, I dunno, cut my jugular or something... :cool:

Ha-ha!!! Straight it is! Thank you, "Sweeney Todd"!!

Just spend some time in the Straight Razor forum. In no time at all, you'll "need" that Straight... even if it's to wipe the drool off your face! :lol:

Ciao, cymric!
chop-chop

greetings.use what works best for you.when i'm in a hurry i use a single edge disposable with the techniques spoken of here.and i get pretty good shave.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Welcome to B&B. There's nothing wrong with using cartridges if you like them and your wallet can handle the price.

Top Bottom