What's new

To rinse or Not to rinse, that is the question.

Somewhere in my reading here I have gotten the idea that most shavers rinse off their face before lathering up for a second or third (or whatever) pass. I just add a fresh layer of lather and take it off again. Do most shavers rinse between passes? Is there an advantage to doing that as opposed to just adding a new layer of lather?

I do rinse. The reason for me is two fold, I like to inspect where I may have missed or need more touch up. Also, by rinsing, the extra water that stays on my face adds to the soap in case it started to dry out. It adds just that much more slickness to it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't rinse as much as I just splash a little more water on my face to slick things up a bit before hitting it with more lather.

I have found it beneficial to just rinse lightly between passes for two main reasons: 1. It adds a bit of hydration for the next pass; while you're doing your first pass, your soap/cream is just hanging out and getting a bit more dry in the mug or bowl, so this will help to prevent subsequent passes from being too dry; 2. Assuming you are relatively new to this, you will probably be wanting to try several new products. I find that the quick rinse between passes is one of the best ways to assess slickness of the product. I simply run my hand under the tap for a second and then rub it over my face. I do this probably twice, and there will still be a good slickness and maybe even a very thin visible layer of soap. Hope this helps some, and have fun with it. It's all about experimenting to see what works best for you and your face :)

Last edited:
I don't rinse as much as I just splash a little more water on my face to slick things up a bit before hitting it with more lather.

+1 I rinse not so much as to remove the previous lather (since a good soap will leave slickness even after a razor pass), but more to keep my next lather from drying up on my skin.

I do rinse. The reason for me is two fold, I like to inspect where I may have missed or need more touch up. Also, by rinsing, the extra water that stays on my face adds to the soap in case it started to dry out. It adds just that much more slickness to it.

Ditto. I do it the same way for the same reasons indicated. It adds water for the next lathering.

Great Question and something I've also wondered about. I'll try a bit of splashing since I seem to be a bit dry between passes, esp. with the Wilkinson stick.

I do cold water shaves and rinse between passes, with very light pats so as not to have too much water on the second/third lather. I also find the cold water rinsing helps keep the irritation away.

I never rinse. Just put a new layer of lather on, and do another pass. I do rehydrate the lather a bit though.

Last edited:
That's what I do as well.

I rinse between passes to moisten my whiskers and remoisten my skin. If I don't, my face is too dry for a good, comfortable shave.

I rinse, using the water in my sink, in which I have been rinsing my razor. So the water is a little soapy, so I guess it's not really a "rinse" as in "rinse clean." It re-hydrates the skin/beard, and a little soapiness is probably beneficial to the next pass lather...would seem to be a slckness-enhancer.

Top Bottom