What's new

Any info on this antique paddle strop?

I recently acquired this antique paddle strop but I don't have much info on it. It reads "Royal Cushion", "Dame, Stoddard & Co", and "Boston, Mass." on the leather case. It could use some TLC, but I don't want to do it myself. If it's worth it, I may send it in to a professional to get it repaired. Google doesn't seem to turn up much on this paddle strop, as far as when approximately it was made, or another example of it. I did find that Dame, Stoddard & Co. underwent different names, and that they also made some quality straight razors, and perhaps some other shave accessories. It's rather thin at 1.75" wide and the strop area is 13" long.

And, to whom can I send this in for professional leather (and wood) repair work? Is there a provider specifically for strop paddles? I can probably sand down any nicks then oil the actual paddle, but the case will need more delicate work done.

I appreciate any help you can provide me with this antique paddle strop.

Thanks in advance!

$P1060248.jpg$P1060249.jpg$P1060251.jpg$P1060252.jpg

Last edited:
Bump - I know I'm going out on a limb with this one since there doesn't seem to be much info out there, but maybe someone will know. Thanks again.

Bump - I was quoted $175 to restore this paddle from a local guy, but a) I don't think it's worth that much to put that kind of work into it, and b) although I'm sure there's quality work and plenty of time that goes into it, I'm slightly suspicious of price gouging, though I've never had leather restoration done on this sort of thing before (I believe a half day's work with repairing the average worn leather couch costs around $400 or so).

Last edited:
Maybe drop Tony Miller a line? The guy knows a thing or two about strops in general and makes paddle strops too, I've got a 4-sided Tony Miller paddle that is a joy to use.

I've only had one cushion paddle strop I sold on and can't remember the name on it, was denim on one side and something linen-ish on the other but a very similar design.

This mentions the Stoddard website, which is now The Proper Moose, maybe they can give some info.

Stoddard is a variation on Stodart from what I gather. If your looking for google ammunition there should be plenty regarding the Stodart name in relation to all things straight razor. Myabe some of the posts from voidmonster or Neil Miller floating around the net will give some pointers.

Good luck!

edit: also maybe posting something in the Strops subforum of the 'General Straight Razor Talk' part of the forum might bring it to the attention of the more strop obssessed members of this fine forum.

Last edited:
Maybe drop Tony Miller a line? The guy knows a thing or two about strops in general and makes paddle strops too, I've got a 4-sided Tony Miller paddle that is a joy to use.

I've only had one cushion paddle strop I sold on and can't remember the name on it, was denim on one side and something linen-ish on the other but a very similar design.

This mentions the Stoddard website, which is now The Proper Moose, maybe they can give some info.

Stoddard is a variation on Stodart from what I gather. If your looking for google ammunition there should be plenty regarding the Stodart name in relation to all things straight razor. Myabe some of the posts from voidmonster or Neil Miller floating around the net will give some pointers.

Good luck!

edit: also maybe posting something in the Strops subforum of the 'General Straight Razor Talk' part of the forum might bring it to the attention of the more strop obssessed members of this fine forum.

Thanks, I'll have to follow up on your advice.
And, I did read up on that thread before, but with not much luck for this particular strop paddle.

From what I found online, this leather paddle is at least from 1921, or at least 94 years old, so it could be upwards of 100+ years old! And, I believe the words on the leather case is gold inlay. Dame, Stoddard & Co. seems to have been a prominent firm of Boston back in the day, almost like a household name to Bean town folks. Since its name change, however, they seem to have lost its appeal, though I believe, like you say, that they are still around but under a different name.

"Dame, Stoddard & Kendall in 1883. DS&K became Dame, Stoddard & Co. in 1900, a name they utilized until around 1921."

Source:
http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2012_03_01_archive.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom