What's new

Gillette Tech Ball End DE Safety Razor

Today there was an Estate sale across the street from my house. So my dad stopped by and decided to check out what was for sale. So he came back with some nice things but when he handed me the Gillette Tech razor I was very surprised and happy.

How should I go about cleaning this razor?

Does anybody know what blades these are?

I don't plan on using the blades since I'm in love with Astra Platinum blades.
$uploadfromtaptalk1440696101609.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440696127688.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440696149409.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440696162319.jpg

A good soak in warm water and dish soap followed by scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush have been working great for me. Just stay away from bleach or products containing bleach. Good looking razor and congratulations on you and your father's find! I wish they had estate sales across from me, wait, scratch that, I'd never have any money if that were the case :lol:

A good soak in warm water and dish soap followed by scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush have been working great for me. Just stay away from bleach or products containing bleach. Good looking razor and congratulations on you and your father's find! I wish they had estate sales across from me, wait, scratch that, I'd never have any money if that were the case :lol:

That plus maybe some light polishing with Maas Metal Polish (No Brasso!) to remove the corrosion if needed. It shows a little wear & tear but that gives it character! It looks like a good user-grade razor and you should enjoy the grip and mild shave. Use and enjoy!

The blades look like rebranded/repackaged Personna blades from a discount or "dollar" store. Maybe even the Israeli Personnas?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats on the razor! I love the look of those old ball-end handles.
+1 on the Israeli Personas - that is the exact packaging of the set that I picked up from the PX a few months ago.

I bought one for $2.50 as part of a bunch once and actually just started using the top with my ATT Atlas handle. Great pairing actually mild and good shaves.

Nice find!
-Stephen

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that my dad got the razor and blades for $8.

I'll clean it real good and scrub with a toothbrush tonight and worry about polishing it some other time since I don't have any metal polish at the moment.

UPDATE!
After soaking the head in warm soapy water and using Google for a way to remove the green from the head of the razor with white vinegar and an old toothbrush then a little bar soap and warm water to remove any vinegar smell. It is all cleaned up and ready to be used tomorrow.

I'll add a few drops of baby oil down the barrel even though the barrel has a very smooth operation.
$uploadfromtaptalk1440722902511.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1440722920336.jpg

Those look exactly like the repackaged Israeli Personna blades I picked up from Rite Aid a month ago in a whim. That post war Tech should be a great mild shaver.

I get those exact same blade at Fred Meyer and they are the repackaged Personna blades. Cheap for 10 blades and give pretty good smooth shaves. I am sure you will enjoy that nice looking razor, its a beaut.

I used the razor in this thread along with a brand new Astra SP blade and my shaving cream C.O. Bigelow.

This is a winning combo for me. I really enjoyed shaving today. :)

I used the razor in this thread along with a brand new Astra SP blade and my shaving cream C.O. Bigelow.

This is a winning combo for me. I really enjoyed shaving today. :)

Congratulations on a new find and a good shave! I love that vintage Tech also and use one in my daily rotation a couple of times a month! Always a good and smooth shave with a sharp blade!:thumbup1:

Is it easy to restore the razor I posted here?

Im thinking I would like to make it look new like it was in the 50's.

That is user grade plus. Somebody rubbed/shaved off the business end of the blade cap. Lol.

Cool ok find and shows you how "anvil tough" those techs are. Bleach and boiling are the only wrong things you can do to that razor. And boiling is only bad because of the gold finish. SS or nickel finish could be boiled to oblivion.

Enjoy your FIRST tech. There will be others. Pre war, post war, birth year, fat handle, triangle slot pre war, Dad/Son/Grand Dad birth year. Hell I have a Moms birth year super speed. X3

Now with this vintage shaver I don't know if I want to get myself a new modern one like a 34C or look for another vintage one.

I have both a 47/50 ball handle Tech and a 47/50 fat handle Tech. Both gold plate. I don't use the ball handle because the finish is 9/10. My fat handle has less plating left than your ball end. I use it.

I find the Tech, as far as aggressiveness goes, to be between a Redtip and a 47/50 SS. It is easier to get the hair under the nose with a Tech than a SS, because the head is thinner.

Greg W.

Top Bottom