What's new

The Fat Boy. How good was it?

Well worth the money. I have my birth year fanboy for one shave per year on my birthday to ensure that I have a good day.

Same here ... I'm not a big fan of either TTO razors or Adjustables, but if I were born during the Fatboy years, I'd use it on my birthday.

My Birthday Razor is a Z-3 Superspeed ... it is a little banged up and shabby looking, but it still works just fine. Just like its owner.

You don't mean "How Good Was It," but "How good Is It," because they are just as good today and they were many years ago. The fat boy is a classic that has great shaving characteristics in most every respect.

Nostalgia factor-10

Removing hair from face factor- average

I use an R41 everyday and travel with a Superspeed. The Slim and the Fatboy are in a box.

I always wondered why the Fatboy was taken out of production so much quicker than the Slim, was the Slim, or Mark II, considered a big step up technology wise at the time? I've heard that the Toggle, the first Gillette Adjustable, does not shave particularly well, and it was only made in limited numbers and manufactured for a short period, coincidence?

I would think it had to do more with production costs than anything else, particularly with the toggle...

I always wondered why the Fatboy was taken out of production so much quicker than the Slim, was the Slim, or Mark II, considered a big step up technology wise at the time? I've heard that the Toggle, the first Gillette Adjustable, does not shave particularly well, and it was only made in limited numbers and manufactured for a short period, coincidence?

I've wondered why the Toggle design went out at all ... it seems like a simpler, easier, no-nonsense way to lock the blade in place. It wouldn't require any gripping or twisting effort that might be a problem for arthritic hands. And it would be clearly visible as to whether the blade was secured or not. No guess work involved.

I would think it had to do more with production costs than anything else, particularly with the toggle...

I would imagine that the Toggle was less expensive to manufacture than any of the TTOs that came after it ... probably fewer internal parts to contend with.

And yet, if the Toggle was such a great razor, why hasn't Weishi or any of the other knock-off companies ever produced a clone?

I honestly love my Adjustable razors. Between the Fatboy, Slim, and the Super Adjustable, I tend to favor the Fatboy and then the Slim. There is a definite difference in performance in my opinion. I also am very glad to have all three in my collection.

I've wondered why the Toggle design went out at all ... it seems like a simpler, easier, no-nonsense way to lock the blade in place. It wouldn't require any gripping or twisting effort that might be a problem for arthritic hands. And it would be clearly visible as to whether the blade was secured or not. No guess work involved.[/QUOTE

The Toggle Fatboy after being used for a period of time would lose tension on the doors making them become slightly loose, to where the knob type Fatboy kept the doors tight. all the following Adjustables, Slim and Black Beauty used TTO system

I find the Slim a little easier to shave with than the Fatboy because the head is a bit less chunky & a bit flatter. The blade angle is more intuitive for me. I agree the Fatboy perhaps looks slightly better proportioned though.

Thanks for chiming in folks! I see these on the big auction site, and as you'd have it, prices seem to vary a good deal. I imagine some of you folks might've lucked into NOS examples here and there, or ones that look like they were barely used, in mint condition.
It's happened to me twice. The first one I used for awhile and then traded away. After it was gone I kind of regretted trading it.
Luckily, I found another one at a local antique store for $15. It cleaned up beautifully and is nearly mint.

One day I might run into a Fat Boy? Our large antique shop does get some nice treasures here and there. Reckon it comes down to being at the right place, at the right time.
Yep. Right place, right time. It may happen, you never know. I also hunted down a Slim or two in the wild. They shave similarly.

I have an E3 Fat Boy, birthday razor. The least used Gillette in my collection of 20-some. It just doesn't work well for me. Now the 74 Black Beauty is my favorite adjustable/TTO. Mostly prefer the early SE GEMs and Gillette NEWs.

I think a lot of the fascination with the Fat Boy is it's somewhat rare, but with some looking can be had for a reasonable price. Seems to be a mandatory piece in everyone's collection.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, consider that some 50 years after they went out of production, here we are today discussing them. As always, in any proper Fatboy thread, there are those that declare them bad, or less than a Slim, or something. Try and find a "Slim" thread, eh?

I love the Fatboy, it was I believe (nobody alive can say different) the first razor I put to me lip lo those many grisly decades past. I've still got several, including my travel razor and a gold Executive.

I own three Fatboys - a D4 , an E1 and G4 and I have to say they all shave quite well. When I got my first one, I was still working on my technique and so I used to fry my skin sometimes. Once I got the pressure down to nothing, and paid attention to angle more, I find these very good. I invested some TLC and had them all re-vampedand re-plated in Rhodium. Should keep 'em ticking for another 50 years with any luck. I like the look of them as well and consider them a kind of art work LOL.

That said, they do have a reputation for being a 'love it or hate' it razor as well. Some people just can't get a good shave out of them for a number of reason and some will use little else.

Are they may favorite shave? No, I have others I think give a better shave in my collection but these still do a great job and I enjoy shaving with a piece of history.

I just picked up my first Fat boy--found it "in the wild" at an estate sale for $2. :) It cleaned up great, and while I have big hands and thought I'd prefer the longer handle of the Slims, I really like my Fat Boy better than my Slims. I'm also a head shaver, and the Fat Boy does a great job on head shaving! I'm using Feather blades and usually set the adjuster anywhere from 3-5.

Top Bottom