What's new

What shaving towel do you use to dry off your brush?

I just squeeze it and shake it off a few times. It doesn't take too much to dry after that. So far it has worked rather well.

I have a towel rack in the bathroom that holds rolled up bath towels. I shake off the extra water from the brush and then give the brush several (15-20) fast flicks across a towel and then either hang in a holder or set on its base. This time of year I like to set my brushes on the window sill of the open bathroom window until the next day.

SWMBO always gets the bath/hand/face combo in matching colors. I never used the face cloth before. Now I use it to dry the razor and brush after shaving. The brush gets three shakes, then I buff it LIGHTLY across the face cloth about 10 swipes to fluff the bristles, then hang to dry.
I am not actually trying to dry the brush as much as get the hairs to separate so they air dry.

I was intrigued by DonMac's method of simply hanging it with the lather and call it a day. His reasoning makes sense, though I shave every other day. Not sure how well that would work on a two day cycle.

None. I squeeze out the excess water, give it a few shakes, hang it up and use it the next day.
This is my technique. Air is softer than any towel. A few good shakes and its ready to air dry. I also have a few brushes so I can let a brush dry a few days before I use it again. But you can definitely go multiple days on one brush . Only my TGN finest was dense enough that it didn't completely dry by the next day.

I use a fresh terry washcloth each day for various reasons. It cushions my scuttle to prevent rattling on the counter. It cleans up od tenants of lather. Finally, after rinsing and shaking out my brush I give it a quick paint brush back and girth on a dry section.

I have never done anything more than rinsing, squeezing out the excess water, shaking it a few times, then just sitting it on the counter. No hanging upside down, no towel dry, just plain old on the counter air dry. All my brushes look and feel fantastic after several years. Me thinks your making a big deal out of nothing, but then again, I see a lot of that around here.

SWMBO always gets the bath/hand/face combo in matching colors. I never used the face cloth before. Now I use it to dry the razor and brush after shaving. The brush gets three shakes, then I buff it LIGHTLY across the face cloth about 10 swipes to fluff the bristles, then hang to dry.
I am not actually trying to dry the brush as much as get the hairs to separate so they air dry.

I was intrigued by DonMac's method of simply hanging it with the lather and call it a day. His reasoning makes sense, though I shave every other day. Not sure how well that would work on a two day cycle.

Allowing the brush to set for a couple of days is not a problem. Many times I have two different brushes with different soaps going at the same time just for variety.

You can go for years by just rinsing the brush and not doing anything to maintain it, but eventually it will start to loose bristles as they dry out and break off. If you look at older brushes that have never had maintenance, you'll notice the outside bristles are shorter and the overall fullness of the brush is less. It's like hair with split ends, eventually those split ends break off. It happens gradually and is almost unnoticeable. I suppose it depends on how valuable the brush is, whether one chooses to do periodic maintenance.

I use the Bob Ross method. I paint a happy little cloud (shave cream) on my face. I rinse the brush out well, squeeze out the excess water and fan the brush against my thumb to remove the rest of the moisture. I don't chuckle, like Bob did, when I do this. I wonder why he chuckled when he did that?:001_rolle

I own one brush and use it 7 days a week. After the shave I rinse it well, squeeze (not twist/ring it, just squeeze only) it and hang it in the holder til tomorrow.

I keep two terry-cloth bath towels hanging on the shower door.
The brown one is for my body and hair-drying, the pink one is reserved for my face.

I shake out the brush and then wipe it on the pink towel. I usually reach for the back half of the towel since that one is drier and cleaner. I grab the knot with the towel and wipe off excess water from the outside of the knot, then I rub it back and forth over the towel that is flattened up against the shower door. Final step is to fluff it up with my hand and then set it handle down to dry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom