What's new

Vintage Talc - Safe to use?

Hey guys, after buying some Pinaud talc and loving the stuff I decided to look into Old Spice variants as I'm a old spice hoarder!

I found plenty of vintage Old Spice Talcs on eBay and purchased a few, one little lot that came with 3 full bottles of Talc - 1960's - Shulton. The other is from the 1980's - Shulton.

Is this stuff safe to use? I read a lot about Talc and Asbestos recently after looking into talc, but nothing seems conclusive apart from Asbestos is very very bad for you. Just wondering if I've wasted my cash on these and would be horrified if I had to pour them down the toilet.

I can't remember where I read but I think it was the late sixties when they started removing asbestos from talc. I wouldn't risk it. The one from the 1980's should be fine though.

Edit: It was the mid 70's " One particular issue with commercial use of talc is its frequent co-location in underground deposits with asbestos ore, which often leads to contamination of powdered talc products with asbestos fibers. Stringent quality control since 1976 (separating cosmetic and food-grade talc from "industrial" grade talc, which is allowed a certain portion of asbestos contamination) has mostly eliminated this issue, but it remains a continuing hazard requiring mitigation in the mining and processing of talc"
Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Last edited:
Go for it. It's not like you are going to work in an asbestos mine. I do believe that these products were used for decades with minute quantities of asbestos in them and there were no epidemic of problems related to them.

I would enjoy without a second thought.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks guys. That's what I love about forums. You can have 2 polar opposite opinions. I hate to admit that I'm a smoker and don't worry about every one I have, yet thousands of people die every year supposedly from smoking.

I find it fascinating that smoking hasn't been banned, yet asbestos has caused probably less than a 10th of that of smoking-related deaths and that was banned from being used.

Ill give it a shot, maybe use the 1960 version a few times a month only. I like to use pinaud talc after a shower and a light dusting around the giblets before getting dressed every day.

Im currently trying to scent my own talc after getting a butt load from amazon for $9. I might just end up binning the 1960's talc and using the fine looking containers. Also, im just hoarding Old spice, that's what it boils down to. :blush:

Go for it. It's not like you are going to work in an asbestos mine. I do believe that these products were used for decades with minute quantities of asbestos in them and there were no epidemic of problems related to them.

I would enjoy without a second thought.

+1 enjoy it!!!
Asbestos associated with talc and vermiculite only came from one area, the Libby mine in Montana.

Do some research to see where Shulton purchased raw materials from.

And you're not coughing up blood? :blink:

Uuummmm.... Noooo...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440853558.918237.jpg

Somebody said once that old talc is good to sprinkle in sneakers as it kills that rubbery smell from sweating in them all day. Any truth to that? I have a bunch of old talc, maybe I'll give it a go?

my dad taught me long ago at the end of every night to sprinkle a little talc in your shoes to make them smell better. also seems to help on sweat on the feets to.

Top Bottom