What's new

Good, bold, English breakfast/afternoon tea

This is what you want. Bold, full of flavour and knocks all the other easily available teas into a cocked hat:

proxy.php

This is what you want. Bold, full of flavour and knocks all the other easily available teas into a cocked hat:

proxy.php

Tea is like shaving in many ways, and a good tea can depend on the quality of your water. Where I live the water is very aggressive and hard. I live on a granite rock island and the water can be quite harsh. Taylor's blend a Yorkshire tea for hard water and I can vouch for both of them as being a good 'everyday tea'.

Twinings have a great selection of teas and I am very partial to an Earl Grey or their breakfast blend. There are some very good Kenyan teas as well,very strong if you like a 'builder's tea'.

But for our American cousins, I must tell you: it is sacrilege to leave a tea bag in the cup whilst you drink it. Worse still, is to not use boiling water to scald the tea and you must let tea 'mash' or 'brew' for no less than 4 minutes and no more than 10.

But for our American cousins, I must tell you: it is sacrilege to leave a tea bag in the cup whilst you drink it. Worse still, is to not use boiling water to scald the tea and you must let tea 'mash' or 'brew' for no less than 4 minutes and no more than 10.

It's a struggle. I have coworkers who leave the bag in until it's gone. Sometimes that's 15 minutes, sometimes it's an hour later.

Truly cringe worthy, and no wonder some have such a poor opinion of tea. I love the "stewed pennies" comparison above.

Another vote for the Taylor's of Harrogate if it is available over there. For a really strong cup though my favourite is Glengettie. Sounds Scottish but is actually a Welsh tea. Very much doubt you'd find that over there though, it's not that common in England!

I can only find it in Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which) and I only live about 25 miles from the Welsh border!

Gareth

Just found both on Amazon and added to an order already planned. :thumbup1:

proxy.php
This is what I was going to say, my all time favourite tea, not just because Im from the rolling hills of Yorkshire but because it creates a lovly strong cuppa'. Infact I've just brewed up now.

$image.jpg
Terrible grainy photo but thought I needed to back my comment up haha.

If Irish Breakfast is an option I'd recommend Barry's Irish Breakfast. Their other teas are good too but for a simple, bold, good cup of Breakfast tea they are hard to beat for anywhere near the price, and in my opinion far outclass other teas in the range like Twinings. Sure, they've "only" been around since 1901, but still, excellent classic breakfast tea.

You have to love their advertising copy too. "A refreshingly uncomplicated cup of tea."

I basically love Barry's for what they are - a good solid daily drinker with nice bold flavor and not a lot of pretense. Inexpensive, too.

Last edited:
Last week I bought some Taylors of Harrogate Scottish Breakfast Tea from a German grocery of all places. Takes over my top spot for a good strong cup of tea. The part I like most about this tea is the lack of bitterness, it's exceedingly smooth.

I found Taylor's Tea in the local UK Emporium. I am now a tea drinker. 3-4 cups a day. Thanks for this recommendation!

proxy.php
What he said, as an Englishman this is my go to brew. Failing that I have a selection of Twining's loose leaf teas. Great everyday brew this :p Ave a proper brew

I used to drink Twinings Breakfast tea all the time. Somehow it's not easy to find locally, so lately I am mostly drinking Windsor Castle Darjeeling.

Top Bottom