What's new

proraso red on the way!

I have ordered a tub of proraso red label and will be enjoying it soon. I was wondering if yall had any advice for a newbie to help me along when I get it. At present I have a tub of van der hagen that came in a cheap starter set w/ brush and bowl. One thing at a time so new soap first. I can build up a decent lather with the van der hagen so I have had some practice with that. What might be some differences? Thanks ahead of time. I will be checking back tomorrow. Cheers, HOSS

Proraso lathers pretty easily, I just find that it can dry out if I don't use enough water. Just add the water slowly and make sure the soap is slick enough before you start shaving.

I LOVE the scent of the red, by the way :)

+1 to add water slowly. A few drops at a time works well, but if I go too fast it never seems to lather correctly. Other than that it's great stuff that works well.

Proraso Red is wonderful and has a true sandalwood scent. It's more of a croap than a soap (soap/cream hybrid) and it lathers very easily as others have stated. I face lather since I DE shave in the shower. To bowl lather simply soak your brush as normal. While that soaks I add a little hot water to the Proraso to soften the top. Once your brush is done soaking simply shake out the excess and dump the water off the soap. Start whipping up the soap and load your brush. Move to your bowl and add a few drops of water at a time as you build your lather. Simple as that.

Proraso Red is my wife's favorite. I'm working through a lot of other options right now to see if there's anything better. After at least eight tries, nothing has come close. I'll keep trying, but Proraso Red might be the answer.

I too love the Red, though I also use the Green during the summer months when I'm looking for that fresh kick it gives. SWMBO also loves the Red. My favourite is to combo it up as an uber with MWF. It does indeed drink a bit of water, but as above, add the water bit at a time.

Proraso Red is wonderful and has a true sandalwood scent. It's more of a croap than a soap (soap/cream hybrid) and it lathers very easily as others have stated. I face lather since I DE shave in the shower. To bowl lather simply soak your brush as normal. While that soaks I add a little hot water to the Proraso to soften the top. Once your brush is done soaking simply shake out the excess and dump the water off the soap. Start whipping up the soap and load your brush. Move to your bowl and add a few drops of water at a time as you build your lather. Simple as that.
So it is a "croap" I had been thinking about getting a cream, but wanted to stick with I already knew, soap. I got the email that it has shipped so I will hopefully have a report on the first go in a few days. Curious to see how it differs from the van der hagen soap. From everything I have read it is the closest to Art Of Shaving sandalwood in scent which I loved. Thanks y'all

Proraso Red = top performer! I love the scent of it, and it lathers with ease. I found that it is easier to get a denser, slicker lather with the Proraso Red vs. VDH, but YMMV.

I haven't noticed much difference bowl lathering proraso red compared to my harder soaps i.e. Tabac....maybe needs a tad more water. I haven't tried the other proraso soaps, but I really like Proraso Red for its scent and slick lather!

Well finally got it in the mail and broke it out first thing! I noticed the scent was not strong at first. As I slowly added water and worked up a lather it I started to smell the sandalwood much stronger. A nice creamy lather that smelled wonderful and felt great. I would recommend it to any newbie.

Proraso products are great. I have creams soaps and aftershaves and enjoy them all. You made a good choice sir, and welcome to the forum.

Still love Proraso Red, but we might have found a couple of additional contenders for the line-up. Wife loves the RR Mudder Focker and St James Cedarwood and Clarysage.

Everybody has great replies it def is water thirsty but an amazing croap. If you want another very easy lathering item try truefitt & hill 1805 cream not the soap. It's expensive but well worth it.

Top Bottom