What's new

Cartridge Razor Lube Strip

I couldn't find any ingredients on the package of provides I have, but I found a patent online that states the lubricant strip releases a lubricant called Polyethylene oxide which appears to be the preferred lubricant for razors and is designed to reduce after so many uses. Some strips also contain other ingredients like aloe. I'm sure there are other ingredients but I didn't feel like reading a book on lube strips. :tongue_sm

I just checked my pack of three Mach3 disposables that I have on me. The lube strip ingredients are PEG-115M PEG-7M PEG-100 BHT and Tocopheryl Acetate.

I have always wondered why the "lube strip" on one of those types of blades was after the blade pass? Seems like a "lube strip" would be better lube before the blades pass anything. Makes no sense to me, but then, cartridges never did.

I have always wondered why the "lube strip" on one of those types of blades was after the blade pass? Seems like a "lube strip" would be better lube before the blades pass anything. Makes no sense to me, but then, cartridges never did.

For extra glide to allow a smoother shave....

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the first gimmick of the cartridges if I remember correctly. I don't think it's adding to the lubrication of a decent shaving cream or soap.
As I would have already applied a shaving oil and a French shaving soap with glycerin and shea butter it probably is superfluous, previously I wasn't adding my opinion just the gist of the commercials message. A large number of carts I use are lube strip free, and for a while consumers had a choice to "lube or not to lube"...

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Sounds like another astronomical loser in my book. It is sad to see this go on, and on, and on with those companies. They have nothing to offer but plastic trinket "collectible" junk.

I am glad that I have found the multiple joys of shaving with a DE.

Oh this is nothing but blah blah blah blah blah

This is hardly new considering Philips electric shavers (Read Norelco if you are American) use the NIVEA FOR MEN dispensing system. They are probably trying to preempt anyone else..

$nivea.jpg

Before "enlightenment", I used the same carts and cans that most folks use. I actually only applied canned gel for the first pass. By the time you finished that pass, the lube strip had left behind enough slick stuff for the follow-up pass.

Some carts, like the Schick Quattro, do have the lube before the blades.

Blah blah blah blah blah.
It's all about producing a razor that uses a proprietary parts (which I assume in this case is a gel dispensing tube that fits into the razor that only Gillette sells). I'll stick to my Mach 3. Gives me a smooth shave that in most cases is close enough. If not i will do a final ATG pass with a DE. It use a RazoPit on my Mach 3 after every shave so the lube strip doesn't last more that a couple days. Still shaves great without it.

This is hardly new considering Philips electric shavers (Read Norelco if you are American) use the NIVEA FOR MEN dispensing system. They are probably trying to preempt anyone else..

View attachment 596400

Makes more sense than the Lube strip. I assume it is creating a froth of sorts as you circularly move the shave heads across your face. As someone else mentioned, the lube strips are AFTER the blade. I don't get that logic at all. Having used carts with and without the strips, I never noticed a difference. Just as with DE shaving, face prep and a good lather make a lube strip unimportant.

I wonder if they expect you to reverse the razor and rub the strip on your face, before applying shave cream?

No lube strip can compete with soap and brush. The basis of a good shave even with carts.

This is just marketing smoke IMO.

Top Bottom