What's new

I Sing The Praises Of Liver Cheese

Does anybody else like this stuff? It seems to be disappearing from the luncheon meat depositories of most stores.

I happened to be in our small-town grocery store the other day and noticed they offered it for sale, sliced to order off a large "brick." I'm talking the pinkish-brown stuff with the white ring of Whatever It Is around it, not the braunschweiger stuff that comes in a plastic tube.

Man, it was superb! It was far superior to the pale, tasteless prepackaged stuff. 3 or 4 slices of it between 2 pieces of white bread is all you need; maybe crush up some of your cholesterol meds and sprinkle over the top of it before laying that top slice of bread.....

Is this the same stuff as liverwurst? I love that stuff
No, it's different. But the taste is similar.

We call it leverkaas.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I usually order this at the German restaurant in town. They have it on the menu as Leberkase. Its served as two thick slices with sweet mustard, a soft pretzel and sauerkraut. You can also get it on a bread roll/bun, and its called Leberkasesemmel.

I've never made it. The store bought cold cut slices might be suspect, but normally, its just finely ground corned beef, pork and maybe some onions, then baked in a loaf shape. The German place I go to usually wraps the whole thing in bacon before cooking.

I usually order this at the German restaurant in town. They have it on the menu as Leberkase. Its served as two thick slices with sweet mustard, a soft pretzel and sauerkraut. You can also get it on a bread roll/bun, and its called Leberkasesemmel.

But the German/Austrian Leberkäse is not the same thing, at least not in southern Germany and the Alps region.

I've never made it. The store bought cold cut slices might be suspect, but normally, its just finely ground corned beef, pork and maybe some onions, then baked in a loaf shape. The German place I go to usually wraps the whole thing in bacon before cooking.

This sounds awesome!