What's new

The Miraculous Safety Razor with Miracle Blades

MIRAK the Miraculous Safety Razor with Miracle Blades.....
proxy.php
:w00t:
proxy.php

And another shot....
proxy.php
proxy.php

And lastly...
proxy.php
proxy.php

I got this recently from the USA....The NOS MIRAK - The Miraculous Safety Razor was made in Bloomfield New Jersey USA by the International Safety Razor Corporation....It has its got two patent dates, July 1919 and June 1920 stamped on it....I done my research and this razor was apparently made for a 5 year period between 1920 - 1925.... During this period the International Safety Razor Corporation was the Biggest Razor Blade Manufacturer only second to the American Safety Razor Company and they worked very much hand in hand with a few court disputes thrown in at each other over various breaches of patents....
proxy.php
:blink:

As you can see in the second photograph the Miraculous Safety Razor takes a propriety blade that is not currently available....This blade is actually shave ready, but I am planning to utilize the Spine to modify a Modern GEM Blade ...I will cut the GEM blade to the size of the propriety blade using the original spine...:001_rolle

New "Miracle Blade" in "The Miraculous Safety Razor"....
proxy.php
proxy.php

Well folks after a bit of serious contemplation and farting about as usual, I finally came up with a master plan to come up with a "Miracle Blade" for "The Miraculous Safety Razor"..... The Miraculous Safety Razor will not hold an injector blade so I went for the Modified Gem Blade option....
proxy.php

I removed the spine from a Gem blade & also removed the spine from the original propriety blade ....The original propriety blade splintered into a thousand pieces like a piece of broken glass, but I didn't acquire any cuts....I am too long in the tooth to wear safety glasses and gloves and all that lark, but they would have came in handy here....The propriety blade is shorter in both width and length compared to the Gem blade....I carefully cut it down to size using a template after drawing around the propriety blade on a piece of paper.....I utilized the spine from the propriety blade on the modified Gem blade and "Bobs Your Uncle" we now have a "Miracle Blade" for "The Miraculous Safety Razor"..:thumbup1:

If you ever come across a "The Miraculous Safety Razor" I wouldn't advise anybody to press the button unless it comes with at least one propriety blade as you will have problems getting it shave ready as you require the original spine ....The original spine plays an integral part in seating the blade as there are no blade stops in The Miraculous Safety Razor....The original spine is heavy duty and will be able to be used for years to come on a modified Gem blade....
proxy.php
:biggrin1:

Look forward to having a Test Drive with my New "Miracle Blade" in "The Miraculous Safety Razor"..
proxy.php
:lol:

Billy

That's very interesting, Billy. I looks like the cutouts on the sides of the head, back near the hinge, operate to keep the blade in position by trapping the ends of the spine, which is wider than the blade. Is that correct?

Be sure to let us know how it shaves.

What was the original blade made of that it would shatter like that? Any chance of a picture with how the blade is seated in the head? I'm also curious if it is my imagination or is the blade set off center a bit in the spine - meaning it can only be loaded on one side?

That's very interesting, Billy. I looks like the cutouts on the sides of the head, back near the hinge, operate to keep the blade in position by trapping the ends of the spine, which is wider than the blade. Is that correct?

Be sure to let us know how it shaves.
That's spot on, Stevie...:thumbup1:

What was the original blade made of that it would shatter like that? Any chance of a picture with how the blade is seated in the head? I'm also curious if it is my imagination or is the blade set off center a bit in the spine - meaning it can only be loaded on one side?
Some of the Older Stropping like this one were made of very rigid brittle steel...The reason the blade looks off centre is that I had to cut a portion from one side of the Gem blade...The gem blade has all sorts of grooves in the sides of it so it looks uneven when its not....

Hers a pic of it loaded in the base plate before its clamped down... :thumbup1:
proxy.php

Billy

Nice work! Interesting design for holding the blade in place. Does the guard offer any protection from catching a corner of the blade?

Nice work! Interesting design for holding the blade in place. Does the guard offer any protection from catching a corner of the blade?
Yeah, its a queer design this one Karl, cause it looks as if it has blade stops but they are more like guards to prevent the corner edges of the blade touching the skin....So yeah, the guard does offer protection from catching a corner of the blade...:thumbup1:

Billy

Very cool!

It always adds to the experience when you can use a little ingenuity to make these old razors live again.

The original blade was probably made with a proper temper like straight steel. Sucks it broke, you could have kept that going for ages with a stripping handle and chromium oxide

The original blade was probably made with a proper temper like straight steel. Sucks it broke, you could have kept that going for ages with a stripping handle and chromium oxide
Yeah, I did contemplate that but in my experience this razor will actually perform better with a factory edge blade....:w00t:

Well, hopefully.....:lol:

Billy

Any mass produced edge can be bested in short order on hones. Even something like a feather is really lacking in edge characteristics once you get used to uncoated blades honed properly. A lot of it is most disposable blades have bevel angles which are a durability compromise but bleed sharp and smooth away

Top Bottom