What's new

any Navy DE shavers?

so anyone here in the Navy that uses their DE while deployed? I know the water can get a little choppy sometimes, so do you guys have a cartridge razor just incase? or does it not really matter? getting ready to deploy in Feb and want to know if I should pack a spare mach 3 or similar just in case.

No longer in myself, but as a former corpsman I'd say bring a spare couple carts for stormy days... If you're on a carrier though you should be fine in anything short of a typhoon though

No longer in myself, but as a former corpsman I'd say bring a spare couple carts for stormy days... If you're on a carrier though you should be fine in anything short of a typhoon though

I was on a carrier and they get bounced around a lot, too. Its not just rough weather that can upset a shave ... even when you're in calm seas and steaming along, a sharp turn of the wheel can send things sliding from one side of the head to the other. And when they launch those planes off the bow catapults, you can hear it, and feel it throughout the ship.

I tried once shaving with a straight razor in rough weather, and it didn't work out too well ... so I went back to using Atra razors, which were State of the Cartridge Art at the time. I don't think that a DE or SE would be any more dangerous to use than a cartridge, though.

When you hit those foreign ports for shore leave, cartridge razors are probably the safest to take ashore with you. They will not raise any eyebrows from customs inspectors, as would a straight razor or a pack of DE/SE blades.

I used a State of the Art Atra cartridge as well, on a carrier. Just wanted to note it's great to see so many USN shavers on the forum. Thank you ALL for your service.

I am in the Canadian Navy Formerly posted to HMCS Windsor (Sub) now posted to HMCS Fredericton (Frigate) I use a Gillette slim adjustable and a '58 super speed. I keep a few packs of Good news disposables in my locker for when i am in a big rush or feeling like a change. I have never had an issue.

NetRang3r,

I would pack a disposable incase you have a GQ or Oscar kind of morning and just need to get up and go. But a normal DE setup is perfectly fine to take and use. I've been through CAT IV seas and it was fine. I wouldn't' recommend a straight razor though.

so anyone here in the Navy that uses their DE while deployed? I know the water can get a little choppy sometimes, so do you guys have a cartridge razor just incase? or does it not really matter? getting ready to deploy in Feb and want to know if I should pack a spare mach 3 or similar just in case.

Does 'back in the day' count? When I was going to sea in the USS Thomas Jefferson (SSBN 618) we were all wet shavers. We weren’t allowed to have aerosol cans on the boat as the propellants could mess up the catalyst beds in the atmosphere control equipment. So we all had a mug and a brush. There were a few Trac II users, but it really didn't matter much. The only time I ever had a problem shaving at sea was the time when we had to run on the surface through the edge of a typhoon. Pack the Mach 3 if your innards tell you to. Once you get your sea legs you shouldn't have many problems unless you're a complete klutz. On the boat if you didn't take it with you, then you didn't have it, so pack an extra puck of soap and a few blades.

Reading all of this makes me very happy that I was a Seabee in a Mobile Construction Battalion! No heavy seas, or for that matter any seas at all.

I keep thinking that I was issued a Schick injector in boot camp. 1965. Maybe I bought it at the exchange, anyway that's what I used for the next four years and a long while after.

Bill

Top Bottom