What's new

Deployment

Aright gents, only made a couple posts here new to wet shaving iv had about 10 decent shaves now and am already in love, the irritation from eclectic and cartridges has gone away and it's not so much a dread to shave anymore it's more of a ritual and a goal to get better I look forward to shaving now, and I have to shave everyday being in the navy, I feel just this could be something great for me to continue doing especially on deployment to get my mind off things, so I'm starting now to gather things that would be better for while I'm on deployment I will be on the ship for 7 months leaving in November. What would you guys recommend for easy use, and stowage, less maintenance.... I was thinking of using a shavette most of the time so no stropping or dings on my straight would effect that, also probably picking up a synthetic brush? Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated, as of now I have been shaving with a Parker srw shavette, col. Conk soaps, still testing different blades, and a Parker pure badger brush. I started off bowl lathering but I think I'm liking the face lather better but still trying to get a really good lather so that could easily change.

I'd recommend checking with your command on the shavette being allowed actually... Last thing you want is it being found on a health and comfort if it's not allowed. May sound stupid, but security can tell you.

id recommend soaps that are easily storable, but Conks should cover that, and maybe a decent tube of brushless cream just in case your brush goes to hell. Have a good cruise brother!

I'd get an Omega S brush. Supposed to have backbone similar to boar, don't have to soak, quick to dry. I'd think about packing a few of my favourite soaps so you don't risk running out

I'd recommend checking with your command on the shavette being allowed actually... Last thing you want is it being found on a health and comfort if it's not allowed. May sound stupid, but security can tell you.
+1 ... and make sure you ask the right person. (Honestly, I'm not sure who that would be.) If you can, ask to see the rules in writing, so that you're not relying on someone else's memory or mis-interpretation of policy.

And even if you're allowed to have it, using a shavette on board ship may not be the best idea. When I was in the Navy, I tried shaving with one of my grandfather's straight razors while out at sea, and the pitching and rolling of the deck in rough weather made it quite an ordeal. Take your shavette, if you can, but pack a regular DE or SE so you can shave under all conditions.

It wouldn't hurt to take along a pack of disposables, too. These will come in handy when you hit shore leave in a foreign country, since passing through customs in a strange land might land you in trouble if they inspect your kit and find a straight razor in there.

id recommend soaps that are easily storable, but Conks should cover that, and maybe a decent tube of brushless cream just in case your brush goes to hell. Have a good cruise brother!
+1 ... remember to K.I.S.S. everything. One thing you won't have on board ship is very much room for anything personal, so keep your software to a minimum. You don't have to take everything you own with you. In this case, Less is More. If you run out, you can always get refills sent in by mail order. Many vendors deliver to FPO addresses. Just remember to order it about 2 weeks ahead of when you see you're going to run out to allow for shipping delays.

Never been underway on a Navy ship, but on the CG 270' I wouldn't ever attempt using a shavette. DE was my go-to method.
If you don't have a good spot to let your brush dry, I'd recommend getting a cream and/or a synthetic brush.
Be safe out there.

Wilkinson or Valobra or another stick instead of bowl lathering. And a good synthetic to face lather it with.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am a merchant seaman and I shave with straights or occasionally with shavettes in all sorts of weather, on ships big and not so big. There is no reason to fear the blade just because the ship is rolling or pitching. The razor is attached to your hand, which is attached to you. And I don't know about you, but I cut myself more with a DE than with a straight. But it still might be good to have one with you just to try it out or if anybody freaks out about your shavette or straights. And well, if you use the DE blade type shavette, the same pack of blades can feed both types of razors. Get good blades and figure a week per blade and then add a pack. On navy ships I imagine you have a slop chest, where you can buy grooming necessities? Can you request that they stock a supply of DE blades, so you have a reserve to fall back on?

The biggest difficulty I see is that you probably have to share a head. I don't, so that makes it a bit easier. Your problem might be keeping people from bumping your elbow while you have a razor under your nose. And then, there is stropping, another difficulty while in a crowd.

Get an alum block from Whole Foods. It is sold as deoderant, under the "Thai Crystal" brand. one of these lasts forever, practically, and is sure to last your 7 months. It makes a great deoderant, too. Best I have used.

A tube of cream should last you a couple of months easy. I get nearly a year out of a tube of Godrej or Proraso. But a mug and a couple pucks of VDH would be good insurance against running out. Worst case, use face soap or hair conditioner.

Spare brush. Styptic. You might want to get a few packs of single blade disposables. They don't clog like those multiblade monstrosities. Choose your AS carefully cause you will be in close proximity to the multitudes. Lucky Tiger is one with a very mild scent, and it is easy on the skin. Oh, some neosporin, to help heal the inevitable occasional slices and weepers.

Asking about your razors is a sure method of inviting refusal. Im not in the Navy but I have been around military bureaucrats and they are quick to say "no" about anything out of their ordinary little world. Better to just have cheap stuff that you can toss if so ordered.

Sounds like they have you headed in the right direction.
Definitely 2 brushes even synthetics can use a break, and you will be shaving every day.
Omega S-brushes for sure if you need cheap. for a few dollars more try a Whipped Dog or Sterling Synthetic.
Nivea makes a great aftershave balm with a mild sent that works good and is inexpensive. You can pick it up in just about every store.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm assuming you are in the military. You should consider getting an Active Duty Badge, it will make you eligible for the Active Duty PIFs I do every few months. Just clink the link in my Sig and follow both steps. Good luck and stay safe

There is a steep learning curve with a shavette. I would try one before committing to using one. Bring a good DE and extra blades, in case you don't like the shavette.

I am a merchant seaman and I shave with straights or occasionally with shavettes in all sorts of weather, on ships big and not so big. There is no reason to fear the blade just because the ship is rolling or pitching. The razor is attached to your hand, which is attached to you. And I don't know about you, but I cut myself more with a DE than with a straight. But it still might be good to have one with you just to try it out or if anybody freaks out about your shavette or straights. And well, if you use the DE blade type shavette, the same pack of blades can feed both types of razors. Get good blades and figure a week per blade and then add a pack. On navy ships I imagine you have a slop chest, where you can buy grooming necessities? Can you request that they stock a supply of DE blades, so you have a reserve to fall back on?

The biggest difficulty I see is that you probably have to share a head. I don't, so that makes it a bit easier. Your problem might be keeping people from bumping your elbow while you have a razor under your nose. And then, there is stropping, another difficulty while in a crowd.

Get an alum block from Whole Foods. It is sold as deoderant, under the "Thai Crystal" brand. one of these lasts forever, practically, and is sure to last your 7 months. It makes a great deoderant, too. Best I have used.

A tube of cream should last you a couple of months easy. I get nearly a year out of a tube of Godrej or Proraso. But a mug and a couple pucks of VDH would be good insurance against running out. Worst case, use face soap or hair conditioner.

Spare brush. Styptic. You might want to get a few packs of single blade disposables. They don't clog like those multiblade monstrosities. Choose your AS carefully cause you will be in close proximity to the multitudes. Lucky Tiger is one with a very mild scent, and it is easy on the skin. Oh, some neosporin, to help heal the inevitable occasional slices and weepers.

Asking about your razors is a sure method of inviting refusal. Im not in the Navy but I have been around military bureaucrats and they are quick to say "no" about anything out of their ordinary little world. Better to just have cheap stuff that you can toss if so ordered.

Slash, the reason we're saying to ask is that in the Navy they do a full inspection of your rack called a health and comfort, and most ships specifically ban straight razors... Being caught with one is a quick trip down a rank unfortunately.

I was deployed many times in Africa with minimum s equipment and I never left my shaving routines.
Well the first time I was really having hard times because I was not that expert and having way too left at home: I shaved fir one month with a single cartridge and hair conditioner as shaving soap. Really hard experience.

7 months are a lot but your holy duty for the shave can be a happy a pleasure.

I suggest to not change that much your shaving habits, and if you want to change in something better take this chance.

This is my suggestions
Razor: one shavette (I suggest universal ones), one DE (merkur 34c) and a couple of Bic bi-blades just for a strange day or to have something to trade.

blades: minimum 200 blades of at least three. Brands. Want to have an easy win make Fu your dopp kit of Gillette, Personna, Rapira, Bolzanos and Astra.

brushes : at least three different you have full time to use one dry each day. I'm a big fan of Omega and Proraso ones. But in Alternative go for synthetic you won't regret. The modern ones are IMO simply nice (Muhle and Plisson are wonderful )

Soaps: my father was on several ships for a Total of 37 years, staying far from home for at least 3/4 of his career. I know. But he is using only one cream, palmolive, for his whole shaving kife(around 40 yrs ). Same here to avoid boredom. Take more with you.
I suggest to have at least one tub of Proraso, one of Cella and a stick of Tabac or Valobra.
alternative 3/4 sticks, mandatory Valobra, Tabac and Speick.

Obviously everything here is IMO and YMMV.

Have a good luck and enjoy your work.
:)

Never been on a ship as a AF guy, but I will say +1 on a synthetic brush for durability due to deployment water conditions. I also only use DE's so I have not used shavette. For blades I find mild to be better for a longer durations of shaving with no break. Personna Meds are my current deployment favorite. For soaps, Id say buy one full size go to soap and get samples from a handful of company’s so you can have options without carrying a huge assortment. Also samples fit nicely into small pouches and so on. I did see someone using a collapsible bowl, a coffee cup can make due, or “borrow” a bowl from the chow hall.

Thanks for your service !

Wow tons of response thanks a ton fellas, I will definitely see about the security and what not but I know people take pocket knives and things so I don't see why not but will make sure

Oops posted on accident, but will make sure I wanna see for health and wellness from previous in the barracks and things knives just can't be bigger then your palm but will check on that also for the ship rolling and what not I will be on a carrier so I usually don't feel a ton of roll and movement only every so often, however the storing and having to share a head or bathroom is another problem will look into those brushes and I have about 4 pucks of soap and 2 tubes of poraso will need to get more blades but i will definitely bring the shavette and maybe a straight razor for the occasional use. Please keep the advice comin lol nothin can hurt

I'm assuming you are in the military. You should consider getting an Active Duty Badge, it will make you eligible for the Active Duty PIFs I do every few months. Just clink the link in my Sig and follow both steps. Good luck and stay safe

I think I did this already I found the link on a PIF and followed but don't really know if I got it or not?

Top Bottom