What's new

Bored, trying to bully a piece of split horn i to obeying me

Huge Elliot frameback. As you can see, the front scale was split length wise on the wedge end. I have need staring at this for months and decided to try making these go again, if only as a stopgap. So far, I am doing ok. I used the slowest curing epoxy I could and managed to get a very clean bond. I sanded that and now I mixed that plus some horn dust in order to fill in some of the chipping that was around the area. I had to bind these for the first go so it was not possible to deal with initially. After I do that, I will sand again, and if all looks well, clean up the scales otherwise and re pin very gingerly. It was a very long split so there was surface area, as well as grain, but it is also narrow, so it should be interesting to see if I succeed.

$C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_WP_20150126_18_08_39_Pro.jpg$WP_20150824_23_00_48_Pro.jpg$WP_20150824_23_00_52_Pro.jpg

It is firmly in the good enough for now zone. I have been hesitant to just send the Sheffield framebacks I have off for any major work as I have never used one and idk what I think of the things. At least now I can hone this.

$WP_20150825_01_28_44_Pro.jpg$WP_20150825_01_29_12_Pro.jpg

It's still holding. It was completely disconnected. I suppose if I wanted to be ocd, I could drizzle some more adhesive into any nooks and re-sand. I am still working on pits. I got the heel ok, but the middle has two wretched ones and the steel is behaving harder now, even on the glass 500

I've seen all manner of approaches on old blades. The classic wire, the turning of the wedge into a structural member, lining the scale, Actually carving a channel into the horn and implanting a shank flush. I have a george johnson like that and it is nuts..

Top Bottom