What's new

some brushes made by me (rookie)

Here's the brushes I've made so far.
$Big Blue.jpg$blue and silver swirl.jpg$blue and white swirl brush.jpg$buckeye swirl shaving set.jpg$elk antler shaving set.jpg
They are all poured by me, with the exception of the elk antler set of course!
I have also been making a lot of pens! I'm really liking this lathe stuff. Keeps me busy for sure.

Yes vey nice indeed. I like the last brush.
That is my favorite one. I learned an important lesson making that one. poured the clear resin atop the red and white swirl which went well. Then I added a few drops of blue dye into the clear for the swirl pattern which looks awesome, but once I started turning it the blue dye started leaking through the clear and at the seam of the clear and red/white swirl!

Had to coat it in several coats of CA to stop the bleeding. Came out awesome though. Next time I'll mix a little colored resin and add it in instead of dripping the raw dye in.

Here's the whole set from the brush at the top. Man, that bowl was tough to do.

Attachments

• $_20150908_071925.jpg
    $_20150908_071925.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 106
These are all gorgeous! I think the blue & white is my favorite. There's something about that shape I really like.

I'm totally digging this one. Can you tell (or show) us your process?

Mix and pour the white and red into PVC mold and let set up until hard then pour the clear.

After I poured the clear I wanted some extra "pop" so I added a drop or two of liquid dye into the clear.

This is where the problem was. Apparently where the seam is between the clear and the colored resin, the liquid dye leaked out in one or two areas (when I started turning it). What a mess...

I had to apply lots of CA to the brush in hopes of sealing it up, which worked.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying pouring them (most of the time!) and turning them. Problem is, I also make pens for lots people at work and I don't have free time to play around with other projects like brushes!

Top Bottom