What's new

Flea Market hones - worth the gamble?

How do you guys decide to buy a mystery hone? What are the tell tale marks that you look for?

Over the weekend I was at a nearby flea market. I picked up three nice DEs, but was hoping for straights or hones. I did find one hone but it was covered in black oil and I had no idea what it was. I pulled out my pocket knife to see if I could guess at grit - nothing but grease. It was fairly dished and about 6x1.5. The ends looked like they were cut so now I'm thinking it was a natural, at least. I put it back, but now I'm kicking myself. It might be worth the $5 just to put my mind at ease.
So in a similar situation, what would you do?

Oh, and no pictures. Sorry.

iMO Definitely worth 5 bucks. You have the right idea if your looking for natural stones in looking for saw marks etc.

here's a box o'hones I got at a flea market yesterday for 25 bucks. It had a Belgian and what I'm pretty sure is a Thuri. Plus a couple of unknown, but interesting looking hones that are soaking in simple green right now.
$image.jpg$image.jpg
Happy hunting and try to keep your cool and poker face while you negotiate.

I agree, if you don't start you picking up, cleaning, etc you'll never know what you have. For instance, I never see natural hones and I'd have no idea what a oil soaked natural might be or look like, even after picking up an oil soaked man made that I still can't understand what is..

Here in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas, one should always pick up old, grimed to the max stones, and soak them for a few days.

Top Bottom