What's new

SPEICKtember 2015

Good shave with the stick today but my lather was too thin for the second pass. I can't load enough with my sparse beard so I will grate into a dish.

I usualy have same problem with Sticks in General. I solved This by loading my beard an then load The brush too. This delivers plenty of lather. Though to be honest i usw a WD 30mm synthetic so loading The face might probably be unnessessary.

Yeah I've done that before, but it's just going to be quicker and easier to load up every day grating the soap into a bowl.

You know what? I think Speick is the best tube cream I've ever purchased. The best I could do would be once a week though. Every day for a month? Thats a lotta Speick.

I usualy have same problem with Sticks in General. I solved This by loading my beard an then load The brush too. This delivers plenty of lather.

I don't have a heavy beard either and I use sticks all of the time. The trick is just wet your face and then load the soap heavy. When you think you have enough soap on your face, put a little more on. Then use a wet brush. Not dripping wet but pretty wet. Works for me.

I literally tried to load for over two minutes today. Wet face, wet stick, etc. It's good for one pass but I like two.

I literally tried to load for over two minutes today. Wet face, wet stick, etc. It's good for one pass but I like two.

What I do for the second pass is I keep just using a painting motion with the brush and soap will build up on your face. Then I add a little water. It works. I use to have a hard time too with the second pass.

I'll likely keep to the below for the most part.
Milled soap for prewash applied with my brush, rinse face and leave wet after a bit. Use brush to super lather shave cream, apply, leave a bit and work the lather some more in the cup.
Apply whipped lather, by hand from gently squeezed brush. Shave xtg, rxtg, slide and buff against the grain to finish. Between the passes rinse, leave wet, whip and squeeze lather from brush to hand apply to face.
Rinse, add aftershave balm on nearly dry face, add aftershave to finish before leaving for the day.

All products from the original SPEICK Men's line.

Last edited:
Stick has been grated. Happy to find I didn't really lose any soap in the process. Bowl is 217g and stick had one shave on it.

This pick put me over the edge to enter my first theme month shave in 5 years on B&B.

I have a stick of Speick that has been sitting with some other travel items and would probably never get used otherwise. I've never used or even lathered Speick, so don't know what I'm getting into here.

A couple years ago I did 3017 a bottle of Speick Active and loved it. Glad to have found this before you started.

I'll post picks of my 50g steick (see what I did there) presses in my soap dish shortly.

I don't have a heavy beard either and I use sticks all of the time. The trick is just wet your face and then load the soap heavy. When you think you have enough soap on your face, put a little more on. Then use a wet brush. Not dripping wet but pretty wet. Works for me.

Exactly the same for me, except lately I've started using a synthetic brush and I find I don't need quite as much soap.

Okay! You guys have talked me into it. I have most of a tube and some shave sticks somewhere in the drawer. Plus, at least half a bottle of the splash. I'm in. The RR SMdF can wait until October.

In ready for tomorrow!

50 Grams:
proxy.php

Cut:
proxy.php

Pressed:
proxy.php

I am turning my stick into a puck too! Wait, actually, my tube is so dry, I might squeeze it all out into a little Tupperware and see what happens!

1st Speick shave down. Interesting experience. Using a combination of tips from previous posters I rubbed the stick on my face and went at it. The lather started fairly normally, though a small amount, then as I added water the volume grew and grew. I added more water than I ever have to a lather and it ended up looking like a cream from a tube. So dense. By that time my arm felt like it was going to fall off from all the face lathering so I stopped there and shaved. I'll definitely need to work on my water to product ratio, but the overall result was good for a 1st time.

On the negative side I found that while I was lathering, the scent kind of mutated into something I didn't really enjoy too much. Odd because the stick smells great normally.

Finished off with the AS and all is good for the 1st day of Spring.

So I've been following the thread, trying not to get suckered into another "themed" shave thinger. I failed!

I shave at the gym so it was the shave stick for me. Finished off a nice 3 pass shave with the aftershave as well.

I've ordered another bar of the shower soap and Deo for the first time.

I do like the scent of Speick.

Cheers.

A great first shave with Speick stick, smashed into my dish.

Loaded up my D3 (first use also) for about 30 sec, got enough thick lather for 2 passes. Pass 1 was fine but the lather lacked the sheen and water I like, so I added a few drops in my brush scuttle and rewhipped a bit for pass 2. Pass 2 was thick, creamy, wet and slick.

I used the extra lather (there was plenty) to apply to my face during wash up of the brush and razor etc, put on deodorant, do hair etc (my regular routine).

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this little soap. Scent is kind of a spicy soapy smell, nothing spectacular but not offensive or overpowering either. I'm guessing it will last me about 25-30 shaves, we'll see.

Last edited:
Ready for today's shave. I have about 2/3 of a tube of the cream which I'll use up first (I broke the cap overtightening it). I also grated three sticks (150 grams!) into an old Mike's tin.

$2015-09-01 Speick Shave Setup.JPG

Great to have everyone on board!

First shave is down. I used the new Shavemac 24x48 2-band silvertip fan today and also tried distilled water for the first time. Soaked the brush, shook out most of the water, then lightly swirled on the soap until it looked well loaded. Moved to the face and had a nice, rich lather.

I decided to thin it just a bit because my Feather AS-D2 clogs easily, and the Speick took a bit more water like a champion. Still had good protection and very good slickness. Impressive to basically use a soap for the first time and be able to dial it in so well.

Had more than enough lather for two passes today and overall a very good shave.

Speick has a very herbal scent, strong lavender with that unique note, and hints of cologne and soap. I think it's better when it's subtle rather than overpowering, and the scent of the soap is still very strong. Hopefully it dies down.

I'll have a better idea of the usage after a few days, but I don't think I used that much soap today. The 50g stick might last close to 50 shaves.

Top Bottom