What's new

Ink for your checkbook

It just occurred to me that if I don't use a waterproof ink, someone may be able to change the contents. Is this a legit thought or an I paranoid? What do you use for checks?

I use either Noodler's Black or Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher (a dark blue). Both are bulletproof inks and perform well in every pen I've used them in.

Another waterproof ink I frequently use is Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, but it's not normally available in the U.S. I bring my supply back from Europe.

I think it's a legitimate concern for the check itself, but maybe a tad paranoid if you're concerned about someone altering your check register. I mean, how often does someone have access to your register and what would they gain by altering the historical data of checks written? Furthermore, your bank keeps detailed historical records.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I use the ink that came with my Pilot Varsity pen.

Most of the time I write checks for charity, and the amount is very small. It's $5.00 or less.

What I don't like is that the paper is not fountain pen tolerable. I can see some of the ink on the other side.

Seems to me that the "duplicate checks" would solve for this. You have a record of the original check and analysis should be able to show that the paper was altered.

That said, I write about two checks per month, if that, and they go to reputable businesses. I ain't skeered.

Seems to me that the "duplicate checks" would solve for this. You have a record of the original check and analysis should be able to show that the paper was altered.

That said, I write about two checks per month, if that, and they go to reputable businesses. I ain't skeered.

You'd think it would help, but I find that my nibs don't have enough contact for the duplicate to work. I've actually gone back to ballpoints as a result which makes this moot, but it seemed a worthy forum topic.

You'd think it would help, but I find that my nibs don't have enough contact for the duplicate to work. I've actually gone back to ballpoints as a result which makes this moot, but it seemed a worthy forum topic.

I've noticed the same thing with my FP and checkbook.

I have a dedicated pen and ink combination for the checkbook.
Esterbrook Copper J with a 9461 (manifold fine) nib for the pen and Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Rose for the ink.
The 9461 was designed for carbons, so it works well with my two-part checks and the Noodler's BSiAS ink is partially bulletproof.
Besides that, the ink dries to look like dried blood so when I write the mortgage check or pay my taxes I get the satisfaction of that.:lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like the way your roll Moondancer.

All of the cheques I've seen that were altered were done unbelievably crudely. Either submitted by ATM or a teller working in collusion. Payees changed as well as amounts.

Fill the spaces, draw a line from the end of the amount spelled out in full to the word dollars at the end so nobody can add to the amount without a bit of work.

I wrote on a check with a couple of my fav inks and washed it afterwards. KWZ IG in a TWSBI Eco did a wonderful job, far more vibrant than my other permanent inks.

Top Bottom