What's new

How To Get Eggs Not To Stick To Stainless Pan

Hi folks,

personally I have given up on stainless pans - it seems that everything I try just sticks.
I have no problems with cast iron, forged iron or (of course) teflon coated pans, so for me I love stainless in pots, but despise it in pans....

br,
ToM

I've had lots of success with eggs in stainless pans. It's all about temperature.

Best way I've found is let the pan heat up on med-high for a minute or two and test it with the "dancing water" technique- wet your hand, flick the water into the pan, and if the water beads up and "dances" around, it's the perfect temp. If it fizzles and evaporates immediately, it's /too/ hot, and if it just sits there, it's not hot enough. Add your butter or oil and quickly add your eggs (if using butter, ya don't want it to burn, so don't wait too long). 9 times out of 10, I get stick-free eggs.

Warm the skillet (not too hot) over the burner. Spray or wipe a thin coat olive oil. Add eggs after the eggs turn white or cease to be transparent, gently move them in the pan around the edges with a spatula. They will turn loose easily and slide around the pan like teflon. Only takes a minute or two for over easy eggs.
I've been doing this in a 7" All Clad stainless pan for many years. The trick is not to get the pan too hot.

I kind of agree with you. I can get the same results in about one-third the time. He is nursing it out a bit.

Getting better and faster just takes practice.

Don
With that amount of oil, you'd gave to nail the egg down to get it to stick. This is more like poaching in oil.

I worked in kitchens for 35 years, for some reason eggs and stainless do not mix. I have found that not preheating the pan and putting a pad of butter then eggs over it then turn to on to medium does help. But it is not fool proof.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Stainless steel is unbelievable for stock pots and sauté pans. But for eggs, "stick" with black steel pans.

Attachments

• $Smoking fish in turkey.jpg
    $Smoking fish in turkey.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 91

ouch

my debuyer is so amazing for eggs, i won't just anything else now

Best of all, in a few years you'll find yourself saying, "Gee- this pan is sooooo much better now. How did I ever even use it when it was new?"

Best of all, in a few years you'll find yourself saying, "Gee- this pan is sooooo much better now. How did I ever even use it when it was new?"
Ive used it almost everyday since owning it, and I can already tell the huge difference... now that the bottom is fairly consistent black, its twice the pan, and only gets better. such a worth while investment, I would take that one pan over those big sets you get at the department stores any day.

ouch

It's amazing how a little knowledge can lead you to an obscure product that's virtually dirt cheap and has been used by masters for hundreds of years. I have four carbon pans, a Mauviel, de Buyer, Bourgeat and an Alessi. Aside from the easily identifiable Alessi (which cost three times as much as the other three combined), I don't even remember which one is which. The lot of them was still less than $100 total

Attachments

• $IMG_1916.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 68

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Ive used it almost everyday since owning it, and I can already tell the huge difference... now that the bottom is fairly consistent black, its twice the pan, and only gets better. such a worth while investment, I would take that one pan over those big sets you get at the department stores any day.

Stop it, both of you. Is this some plot to make me spend more money? :biggrin:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
best money i have ever spent on kitchen gear, and that includes my knives

I may put these on the list. My wife doesn't use my cast iron too often, as it is a bit heavy for her. She does use the 6 inch skillet for pan cakes, though. The bigger pans are just too much of a pain for her.

I may put these on the list. My wife doesn't use my cast iron too often, as it is a bit heavy for her. She does use the 6 inch skillet for pan cakes, though. The bigger pans are just too much of a pain for her.

while lighter than my cast iron, it's not by much.... they are still fairly hefty pans

It's amazing how a little knowledge can lead you to an obscure product that's virtually dirt cheap and has been used by masters for hundreds of years. I have four carbon pans, a Mauviel, de Buyer, Bourgeat and an Alessi. Aside from the easily identifiable Alessi (which cost three times as much as the other three combined), I don't even remember which one is which. The lot of them was still less than $100 total

what do you use the crepe pan for... I'm guessing crêpes lol, but anything else ?

I love my stainless pans to death, super easy to clean with steel wool, fabulous heat retention, look great, and for most stuff all the advantages of cast iron. But eggs still go in the nonstick for me.

Top Bottom