What's new

How To Get Eggs Not To Stick To Stainless Pan

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Eggs on stainless is more of a parlor trick than practical in my case. Don't use a dishwasher, polish with barkeepers friend, season the pan by heating about 1/4" inch of oil in the pan and letting cool. Use fairly low heat and a flat metal flipper.

I cook eggs all the time on my all clad stainless. Make sure pan is hot, then the oil. I use the stop and shop canola spray. Any type of eggs, always comes out perfect. Its just technique... Easy, you can do it. I wonder if the OPs Paderno pan is the real culprit. Its supposed to be quality, but who knows-maybe that's why the original owners got rid of them?

Cooking with stainless steel is a learned skill. If I can do it, so can you.

To start, go here: www.allclad.com.

Check out the FAQ section. This will establish the basics of cooking with stainless. Always preheat the pan, and not to core of the sun temperatures; my burner never goes over a medium setting when cooking with stainless. You are controlling and maintaining the temperature of the pan, and a good stainless piece of cookware will hold and maintain an even heat. You then add the oil or butter, using just enough heat to coat the bottom of the pan evenly, but not burning it. Again, keep the heat source on low to medium.

Add the food. You should hear a gentle sizzle. Cracking or popping sounds mean your heat is too high. This next part is important. LEAVE THE FOOD ALONE. This is sometimes hard to do; you want to start playing with and flipping stuff right away, but you have to overcome this habit. I do my eggs over easy, and I just watch the edges of the whites as it slowly cooks toward the yolk. Time and gentle heat will separate the food from the surface of the pan naturally.

It helps to watch some youtube videos, but it's up to you to know the difference between good advice and nonsense. You might also want to try a good cleaning of the pans, since you bought them used. I would use a gentle stainless cleaner, like Bar Keeper's Friend.

Stainless is not cast iron. Seasoning is unnecessary. You are not polymerizing a teflon surface on the pan, just leaving a dirty film of oil. Your seasoning is added prior to each cook in the form of oil or butter.

Don

+1
The Frugal Gourmet (remember him?) used to say, "Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick."
I heat my All-Clad for 3-1/2 minutes over my electric burner set on 4/10. Then add butter. It bubbles quickly but doesn't pop or spatter.
Then I add my eggs. Leave 'em alone till the edge is dry, then flip. Then the eggs usually can move freely just by moving the pan. I either let it be & get a frittata-type dish or I can scramble then a bit, by that time the pan is good & the eggs usually won't stick at all.

Anyone used the Lodge carbon steel pans? They look to be about 1/2 the price of the DeBuyer.
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS12-Skillet-Seasoned-12-inch/dp/B005U93RYW

I bought one a few months ago. It was my first non-nonstick pan. I love it. I did also buy some cast iron that I really enjoy as well. But this guy is great. If I had one complaint it's that the edges are a little shallow so I don't feel like I can put much liquid in, but I rarely use it with anything that needs much liquid. I haven't used any other brands so I certainly couldn't say it's as good as them, but if you're like me and just want to try one out before spending a lot of money I would say this is a winner.

Top Bottom