What's new

Chanel for Men? What is it now?

Way back when, I used to wear Chanel for Men as one of my favorites. I see it is no longer available, at least under that name.

Do they still make the same fragrance? If not, what's close?

Thanks.

Regards,

Bob Eye

Are you thinking of Chanel Pour Monsieur?

I don't know if that's what the name was changed to or not. The last bottle I had said "Chanel for Men" on the bottle. I bought it in the early to mid 1980s. The cologne had a light citrus scent.

Thats should be it. It has been around since 1955. "For man" is Pour Monsieur in french.
proxy.php

You might have had a knock off because I think Chanel always has french on their bottles?

Top Notes
Neroli, Lemon, Petitgrain..

Middle Notes
Cardamom..

Base Notes
Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver..

You might have had a knock off because I think Chanel always has french on their bottles?

Not necessarily. I am told that for a time Chanel's North American bottles said "Chanel for Men", while their Euro bottles said "Pour Monsieur". There is a bottle of this at my folks' house and - despite its age - it smells decent enough once you get past the faded topnotes. However, current production is practically guaranteed to be a little different. Still, try Chanel PM, or you might also try Parfums de Nicolai New York for a similar Chypre.

Here's what I found over at http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120336.html:

"According to Chanel this was created by Henri Robert in 1955 and was launched as 'A Gentleman's Cologne' in the UK, 'Chanel for Men' in the USA and 'Chanel Pour Monsieur' in France. In 1989 it was relaunched with the name 'Chanel Pour Monsieur' worldwide. Chanel insist that the formula remains unchanged since its launch in 1955 -- though US beauty industry news reports in 1988 claim the scent is new and was created by Jacques Polges. Hmmmm.. curiouser and curiouser..."

Mine was definitely purchased before 1988.

Hopefully there's something out there that is close in fragrance and a little less $.

Thanks for the replies!!

So how did the original smell? My bottle was suspect but it was quite resinous and slightly musty. I blame sunlight and a careless former owner.

Have you even tried the current Chanel Pour Monsieur? The juice might be a bit different but I bet 99.8% of the population wouldn't know the difference.

Have you even tried the current Chanel Pour Monsieur? The juice might be a bit different but I bet 99.8% of the population wouldn't know the difference.

This is a good point. Antaeus for instance is different between the original and current formulations, but it's noticeable only when compared to itself. And Polge generally knows better than to muck around with a classic, odds are that the original formula has perhaps a bit more depth due to better materials (sich as nitro musks which are now banned), but the current formula is probably still plenty good.

The new stuff isn't the same as the old stuff. I just sold my backup bottle of the old juice but if somebody is really desperate I can probably spare a bit of the one I have.

I have a bottle of older stuff, and it is much more powdery than the new one which is citrus with a strong amount of anise and not much powder.

(Hi guys! :001_smile)

I was a big fan of Chanel for Men in the 80's.
I started wearing Chanel Pour Monsieur again recently. The new is very different from my memory of the old.
I remember it being a little sweeter, a touch more complex, a little less powder and rounder in the nose.

Top Bottom