What's new

Migas

Last night, I made a new (for me) Southwestern dish called Migas. It's related to chilaquiles, but was distinctly different:

1. Fry up 4 thick cut slices of bacon until crisp. Drain, cool and crumble. Set aside.
2. Dry out 12x6 inch corn tortillas (or just use some that are old and stale), tear them into 1-1.5 inch pieces, and fry until golden in 6 tbsp of canola oil (heated in a 12 inch cast iron fry pan until hot, but not smoking). This takes ~5 mins per batch. Drain and set aside.
3. Fry one cup of finely diced onion and 6 cloves of finely chopped garlic over moderately high heat in the same canola oil until golden (takes about 5 minutes).
4. Add the crumbled bacon to the onion/garlic mixture, along with a 14 oz can of diced plum tomatoes and 1 tbsp of ground cumin, and cook on moderately high heat for ~ 5 minutes.
5. Add the fried tortillas back to the pan and mix until well combined.
6. Pour 8 beaten eggs over the mixture in the pan and stir to mix.
7. Add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese and stir to combine, along with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cook for another 2-3 minutes over moderately high heat until the eggs are done to your taste.
9. Serve with hot sauce, salsa or pickled jalapeños on the side.

This takes about 30-40 minutes from start to finish, and serves 5-6.

Sorry, no pics, because the dish didn't last that long, and it was the first egg dish of this type that we could get the kids to eat from start to finish.

There are a number of variations of migas. For Tex-Mex migas they usually throw in tortilla chips -- which is basically what you're making when you fry the corn tortillas -- and serve with rice (not always), beans and tortillas.

Migas is quite possibly the very best breakfast ever. I use chorizo instead of bacon it is all good. Also, some joints down here use Fritos instead of fried tortillas....not as awful as it sounds AND it cuts the prep time down.

The recipe I followed was inspired by the "frugal" cooks who were using up stale tortillas. Tortilla chips (for Fritos, God help me) would be pretty darned tasty as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's really good about migas is mixing in the toasted/fried tortilla's. Some of it gets soft and blends in with the moisture of the eggs, and some of the tortilla stays crispy. It's has a different texture and flavor from the regular breakfast taco made with corn tortilla's.

There are many different ways to make migas, but the ingredients that have to be in there to call it "migas" must be eggs, tortilla's, cheese and hot sauce/salsa.

$dsc_0030.jpg

Mmmm Migas. I haven't had that in a long time, I think the last time was in your backyard Aaron. Some little hole in the wall in Austin with a cool outdoor patio area and it was with chorizo instead of bacon. It looks like a perfect breakfast, I'm going to have to get on it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I used mini sweet bell peppers, diced cherry tomatoes, white onion, eggs, grated Mexican blended cheese, cilantro and homemade hot sauce. Easy to make.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I do similar. I slice n dice a few Alice's of bacon, cook slowly until crispy and lightly brown, add the tortilla strips, cook til kinda crispy, add fresh jalapeños finely chopped with the seeds and cores removed, add chopped onions, cook til onions are translucent, add beaten eggs and a couple small cans of green New Mexico Chile's well drained and cut up into large pieces, cook until eggs are nearly set and add cheese and cover, remove from heat, let stand 10 minutes. Cast iron skillet of course. I like Velveeta cheese for this. Mexican white cheese works too, or American or mild cheddar. Serve with flour tortillas lightly grilled in butter, and either Pace or fresh pico de gallo.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The only breakfast dish I like better than migas is Eggs Benedict. I am of the chorizo ilk.

Top Bottom