What's new

First DE shave completed

Ok - after much lurking, I put a Derby blade into my Merkur 34C and gave it a try. Nice hot shower, lathered up my face with Art of Shaving Sandalwood with my boar brush.

Then held the 34C gingerly and went at it. Quickly learned I could tell if the angle was right (or at least close to right) by if I could hear the hairs being cut. Did WTG passes of both cheeks with no issues... then tackled the neck. My beard on my neck grows all in one direction, from my left ear to my right ear. It has always been challenging with a cartridge to get my neck very smooth at all, and I get terrible irritation and ingrown hairs if I ever go ATG on my neck. Usually I do a WTG pass, then one XTG straight-down pass. Occassionally another XTG upward if I want it a bit smoother. In fact, DE shaving appeals to me mainly in the hopes that I can get less irritation on my neck.

Anyway - fearful of keeping the angles correct while holding the razor sideways, I first did a top-down XTG attempt on my neck. That seemed to go well, so I lathered up again and did a WTG pass. Then went back to my cheeks and since it had gone so well there, I did a couple of XTG passes and even an ATG (as I usually do with a cartridge with no problems).

When finished, I noticed one small weeper on my neck that finished after a cold water splash. My overall shave was - acceptable. With my cartridges with similar prep I can easily get my cheeks BBS (even feeling ATG), and my neck so that it looks fine but feels a little stubbly when I run my hand ATG. Today's first DE shave my cheeks are a little rough ATG. My neck is about how it would be with my cartridge shaving. Perhaps I didn't get the angle quite right on the ATG pass on my cheeks.

Irritation on my neck seemed similar to that of the cartridge shaves.

Conclusion - I'm still very new at this, but I think my first attempt went great. It took forever compared to a cartridge shave, but that is to be expected on my first try. I went in expecting to cut myself a few times, but pleasantly that didn't happen.

Congrats. After you get use to using the razor, I suggest getting a sample pack of different blades. Keeps notes of the different blades and see what works best for you.

Congrats. After you get use to using the razor, I suggest getting a sample pack of different blades. Keeps notes of the different blades and see what works best for you.

Thanks - I did get a sample pack from Maggard's, the Derby was one of the blades in that pack. I figure I'll try another shave or two with the Derby, then try an Astra or a Gillette Silver Blue from that pack.

Thanks - I did get a sample pack from Maggard's, the Derby was one of the blades in that pack. I figure I'll try another shave or two with the Derby, then try an Astra or a Gillette Silver Blue from that pack.

Congrats on a good start. Getting a sample pack of blades was smart. I do recommend, however, that you stay with one blade for much longer than a few shaves (as you stated). Improve your technique with just one brand of blade before trying another. Good luck and welcome to traditional wet shaving.

Good for you for doing the DE thing! The Derby blades are among the very worst (if not the worst in my experience), so get some blades that are known to be sharp and smooth. You results will be MUCH better.

I'm pretty new to DE shaving as well and also started with Derbys - I like them, a smooth satisfying shave and pretty forgiving since I'm sure my technique leave a bunch to be desired as yet - since I used up all the Derbys in my sampler I've found several of the other blades a bit too harsh except for Gillette Silver Blues - they seem like a sharper but still fairly smooth alternative to Derbys that I might start to really like once I get better at this - and Shark blades, just started with them, they may be as smooth and easy as Derbys if not more so. Very early on the Feather blade left me bloody, raw and humbled and the Astra SP also was a bit too harsh for me, at least at this point.

Happy Shaving

... My beard on my neck grows all in one direction, from my left ear to my right ear. ...

Consider yourself lucky. I need to shave in 3 or 4 directions to get my neck clean. Based on your great first outing, you'll be getting outstanding results before long.

Welcome to the fold! :thumbup:

Congrats! Keep practicing and getting tips from the forums and YouTube.
You'll get faster and more efficient in your technique, no doubt.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Top Bottom