What's new

Another newbie to both the site and traditional shaving - fill me in

So I don't ask all the annoying newbie questions, hit me up with links to where all the newbie questions have already been asked please.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the cheap Van Der Hagen combo pack from Walmart and liked it, but I'm sure it's really low end since it's at Walmart. I'll use it up while I look around to see what better quality stuff I'll want. I also looked at the local Art of Shaving store. Lots of nice looking stuff there. From there, I like a Safety razor/DE with a bit longer handle. I tried their little sample packets with the pre-shave, their shave cream and the after shave...honestly, I thought the VDH gave me a better shave - sure felt better, enough that I was going to double check the Fushion blade to make sure it wasn't an old/used one.

If it matters, I have a fairly coarse beard growth and usually only get 2 (maybe 3-at best) comfortable shaves with a Fushion cartridge.

And, BTW, I'm 49 and when I first started shaving I started with a DE safety razor as that was what my dad used. He passed away a few years back, and I've asked my mom to look around and see if his old DE razor is still around.

Hello and welcome, Ngage. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Read the stickies at the top of this forum and watch the YouTube videos by Mantic59, Geofatboy, and others for valuable tutorials.

Welcome to B&B and feel free to ask away...that's what we're here for. It was the same for me with fusion carts; two good shaves, the third shave acceptable, and anything after that was a grind. Anyway, glad you joined us and enjoy the shaves! :001_smile

Welcome! And there's nothing wrong with the VDH stuff. I use the soap regularly, and enjoy it.

If you like a razor with a longer handle I have a couple of suggestions. I started with a Merkur 23c, which I believe has the same head as the often cited 34c. I like it, and still use it.

In vintage razors, look for a Gillette Knack. They can be had cheap. Truthfully, they feel cheap compared to some other Gillette razors, but I have gotten good shaves from mine. A nice mild razor that behaves well with those wicked sharp Feathers. It happens to have been made the year I was born ('66) which I think is neat.

Welcome! Your razor should be fine. My first was the same thing, rebranded as Micro Touch One. It's actually a great little razor, and I still use mine.

Once you start getting consistent, nick-free shaves, then I would recommend hunting down a vintage Gillette.

Good luck!

Top Bottom