What's new

Boot advice

Good day all. I recently sold off a pair of Carolina Lineman's boots. The soles were very hard and I felt like I was walking on my tip toes. I did, however, love the leather liner and durable leather outer.

Now I am having a heck of a time replacing them with something that feels well made. I would appreciate any advice on a brand and model of boot that is soft toe, roundish toe, unlined or leather lined.

Thank you.

Being from MN I'll put a plug in for Red Wings. Just make sure you get USA made ones. Are you doing any work in them or are they just for "casual" use?

Being from MN I'll put a plug in for Red Wings. Just make sure you get USA made ones. Are you doing any work in them or are they just for "casual" use?

I would be wearing them for work around the house. Not industrial work but working on the house, motorcycle/cars and yard chores.

I tried on a pair of Dr. Martens Ironbridge soft toe boots today. Man were they comfortable, but HEAVY! And I think they look like fashion boots.

I'd hardly call Dr. Martens FASHION...lol :lol:

If you are wearing around the house, you don't need such a tall boot as what you got rid of. A decent work boot with a vibram lug or plain rubber sole would probably fit the bill. Chippewa has a fair variety of styles. LL Bean Katahdin is another good one to look at. Redwing makes some good boots too. Iron Rangers, although generally made with a leather sole, can have any rubber sole put on if ever needed. Iron Rangers are bordering on the fashion/work boot line, but in the end they are a good sturdy boot that will give years of use if cleaned properly and resoled when needed.

I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. Shopping for a pair of American made boots that can withstand a lot of wear and tear and still clean up enough to wear with jeans to the office on casual days.

Tried on a few pairs of Red Wing boots at the local shop. Like the look of the Beckman but it wasn't nearly as comfortable as the Classic Chukka. But the Classic has a weird white sole that I'm not a fan of.

Tried to find a place to try on Wolverine 1000 Mile and Chippewa Service Boots, but doesn't seem to be anything around me.

proxy.php

The boot store I went to did have a great looking pair of Danner boots. They were the same as the duty boots but brown leather. But, before I could plunk down my $188 I was told the boots were discontinues. Grrrr. I ended up buying a pair of Thorogood boots with the six inch upper. Classic 90 degree heel. Bought them for $145 online.

I really liked the steel toe Thorogoods I had before. These ones also have the goodyear welt construction. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I've been eying these too since they were just released. I'll wait to see what kind of deals come up in the next few months on shoe bank.com

They also have a nice looking new dress boot called the First Avenue. Though what I probably need more than anything is a black Chelsea or Jodhpur boot. Darn this BAD.

I've been eying these too since they were just released. I'll wait to see what kind of deals come up in the next few months on shoe bank.com

They also have a nice looking new dress boot called the First Avenue. Though what I probably need more than anything is a black Chelsea or Jodhpur boot. Darn this BAD.

I bought the First Ave boot when it was available late last year in black only. You can't go wrong. They are basically a boot version the the Park Ave shoes.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
While made in the USA - White's boots are owned by a Japanese firm (same with Danner if memory serves me correctly). While there's no issue with that... it's worth noting. It's also worth noting, that while I own a pair of high end White's Boots, in Cherry colored water buffalo, custom made for my foot - I find their build quality to be mediocre for the $ - in fact I'll be reviewing them in the short term future and posting some pathetic build quality pictures and a negative review. If you want a much better boot for the money, but a pair of Wesco Jobmasters. My Jobmasters are a stunning 12 years old, and with a bit of polish from time to time, they still look incredibly sharp and damn near new.

I have Redwings, Wolverines, White's, Allen Edmonds, Doc Martens, Cydwoq, Zamberlain and Luchesse boots, and they all bow down to the Wesco's, in terms of build quality and longevity - and you fellas know how much I love my Aldens.

If you want the best boots your money can buy, that are made in America, by an American owned company - look no further than Wesco.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. Shopping for a pair of American made boots that can withstand a lot of wear and tear and still clean up enough to wear with jeans to the office on casual days.

I have the Alden Indy boots and while I think they fit this bill I don't personally use them as work boots. I obviously like the way they look and the size options were important to me as I'm hard to fit. Reportedly the story is that Harrison Ford insisted on Alden's for the movie as he used them as a carpenter and really liked them. I just don't have any "wear and tear" experience with them.

Alden Indy's are in my "someday" range, but too expensive for now.

Those Chippewas look interesting. Also, the LL Bean Katahdin in Cordovan are available in wide widths and actually in stock. If those ever go on sale, might have to try them.

Top Bottom