What's new

Length in time of Classic Old Spice scent after applying?

I finally decided to try the Classic Old Spice aftershave after using up an old decade plus P&G manufactured bottle with Shulton still listed on the back. Did I get a bad bottle or is it my imagination that the Classic scent only lasts about 10 minutes? I put a bit on my arm and I could barely smell it after 5-10 minutes. The India produced Original Old Spice by Rubicon lasts quite a bit longer and the Old Spice Musk from India lasts for a number of hours.

Even the Family Dollar Spice aftershave scent is lasting longer than the Old Spice Classic! Some here advise mixing the Classic with the Family Dollar spice to make the Family Dollar scent last longer. Unless I'm mistaken, if I add 2 oz. of OS Classic, the scent of the Family Dollar will dissipate faster! Based on the batch code of the Old Spice Classic bottle, P&G told me it was produced this year, so I'm not sure why the scent is so weak. I know it's supposed to be sweeter than the Original made in India, but I don't think I've read that is was weaker and seemed watered down.

Is the Old Spice Classic Cologne considerably stronger than the Classic aftershave with a longer lasting scent? For some reason, Rubicon doesn't produce an Old Spice Original Cologne in India for P&G.

Last edited:
Having never tried Old Spice before since only starting DE shaving last year i've already planned on purchasing the classic bottle from a local store next week so i'll report back on its scent longevity. not a fan of short lasting scents either, bought Tobs Sandalwood Cologne & its scent only lasts for a total of 3 minutes.

Aftershaves always have a much shorter scent lifespan than colognes, but some aftershaves last a ridiculously short time and must have a very minute quantity of whatever fragrance oils are used in the mixture.

Have you read the forum threads about all various formulas of Old Spice that are produced around the world?

read those threads & i'm working at an abroad location (Classified) for the next 5 days which is where i'll buy the bottle.

Then why would you rather buy the Classic version than the Original, unless you're in a country that doesn't carry the Original Old Spice. I would recommend the Old Spice Musk aftershave that's produced in India if it's available for purchase.

Last edited:
Lucky for me my wife brought home several original gift sets a few years ago. I also have a couple bottles of classic, and contrary to what the mindless morons at P&G say, the two are different. The original lotion lasts for a few hours (3-4) on me, whereas the classic is noticeable for 2-2 1/2 hours tops. The original is smoother, a bit cooler scented than classic, which to me is sharper and sweeter than the original. Whoops I forgot, P&G people say they're the same. I guess this wearer and lover of original has no idea what he is talking about.

Found it...Old Spice Original when zoomed in on rear of the box
View attachment 595625

I could be mistaken, but that looks like the box from Old Spice Original that's made in the EU. I'd be interested to see what the back of the bottle says when you get it (in regard to who's manufacturing it for Proctor & Gamble. Is it MCPL, Rubicon or P&G themselves?)

Lucky for me my wife brought home several original gift sets a few years ago. I also have a couple bottles of classic, and contrary to what the mindless morons at P&G say, the two are different. The original lotion lasts for a few hours (3-4) on me, whereas the classic is noticeable for 2-2 1/2 hours tops. The original is smoother, a bit cooler scented than classic, which to me is sharper and sweeter than the original. Whoops I forgot, P&G people say they're the same. I guess this wearer and lover of original has no idea what he is talking about.

Wow. The Classic I just got last week lasts for about 10 minutes, tops! I think if I put a few drops on a paper towel, it would last for hours, but on my arm it only lasts for minutes.

Just this week, I emailed P&G about it and also mentioned the comparisons to the version from India. Once again, they told me it's the same formula! In the return email, the rep incorrectly told me that Old Spice Musk aftershave is sold in the US! I sent her the Oldspice India link and asked her to find me that scent on the US website. I haven't heard back. I also didn't get an answer as to why they can't import their own licensed products, like the Original Old Spice, the Musk, and the shaving cream tubes!

Aftershaves: http://www.oldspice.in/en-IN/products.aspx?t=2&id=5
Shaving Cream: http://www.oldspice.in/en-IN/products.aspx?t=2&id=3

Last edited:
I've bought some Indian Old Spice, and it is as true to the Shulton formula as you can get now. It will last all day. I put some on last night, and still smell it now.

I've bought some Indian Old Spice, and it is as true to the Shulton formula as you can get now. It will last all day. I put some on last night, and still smell it now.
Old spice threads referring to Indian makes always attract a lot of confusion. Does this India bottle say Rubicon and P&G with a red cap?

I find the P&G Classic OS to be one of my longer lasting aftershaves. I can still smell it at the end of the day on my clothes and on my hands after washing several times. Lasts as long as Clubman on me, though not quite as persistent as OS Original (India).

Before I comment on other posts, I was looking at today's ads from the chain drugstores and I saw Old Spice deodorant on sale. What I don't understand is why P&G will produce both the Classic and Original OS deodorants in the US, but won't sell or import the Original aftershave and cologne (nor the shaving cream tubes).

I can't remember if anyone has compared the new Rubicon produced India OS Original to the old MCPL produced OS Original to ensure it's the same and that Rubicon hasn't started using the P&G Classic, sweeter, less spicy formula.

i'll upload a pic of the back & any serial numbers when i have it :001_smile

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! Another difference I've noted between the India produced aftershaves and the US P&G are the date codes. The Rubicon versions from India list a production date and best used by date while the US version has a confusing batch code that refers to a date. I think the first number is the year and the next digits refer to the day number of the calendar year.

Did you get yours from WCS or off Ebay? There are a bunch of Ebay sellers who have hundreds or thousands of positive feedback ratings that sell the aftershaves and shaving creams at various prices with free shipping. The important thing is that it's the actual product and the box and bottle arrive in pristine condition. I'm trying to find out which Ebay sellers ship it and tape the cap to the bottle to avoid spillage. I received free complimentary 50 ml bottles of the Original and Musk aftershaves from Walmart when they tried to import them via P&G channels and couldn't. Unfortunately, about a third of the musk spilled during shipment.

Old spice threads referring to Indian makes always attract a lot of confusion. Does this India bottle say Rubicon and P&G with a red cap?

That is correct. They used to list MCPL with Shulton still mentioned, but that contract with P&G ran out. I think the 50 ml glass bottle has a red cap, the 100 ml bottle is red plastic, and the 150 ml bottle is an atomizer with a red cap.
I've seen 190 ml and 250 ml OS Original advertised on Amazon, Germany and other European sites. My preference has become the OS musk aftershave.

I find the P&G Classic OS to be one of my longer lasting aftershaves. I can still smell it at the end of the day on my clothes and on my hands after washing several times. Lasts as long as Clubman on me, though not quite as persistent as OS Original (India).

You must have some incredibly potent bottle of Classic OS. Are you sure it's not the cologne? The scent from my Classic OS is gone in minutes! Perhaps my skin is super absorbent, like a Bounty towel? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Something just occurred to me after my last post. How can P&G say the formula for the Old Spice Original aftershave from India is the same as the US Old Spice Classic aftershave if they're producing an Old Spice Classic deodorant AND an Old Spice Original High Endurance deodorant in the US? Why not call the 2nd version "Classic High Endurance"? Are they just referring to the shape of the stick? Note that they use the word "original" twice on the label of the Classic case.

$os_deodorant.jpg

Last edited:
I have contacted P&G twice regarding the original and Classic aftershaves, both times being told the two are the same formula. My comment after hearing their response the second time was that P&G are obviously clueless about the matter. Since that time I no longer have any respect for them as a company and I have not purchased a product of their manufacture. Maybe we all should do this, perhaps these P&G people would understand our disgust with their "handling" of the Old Spice aftershave fiasco. Talk about screwing up a one-car parade on a one-way street!

I have contacted P&G twice regarding the original and Classic aftershaves, both times being told the two are the same formula. My comment after hearing their response the second time was that P&G are obviously clueless about the matter. Since that time I no longer have any respect for them as a company and I have not purchased a product of their manufacture. Maybe we all should do this, perhaps these P&G people would understand our disgust with their "handling" of the Old Spice aftershave fiasco. Talk about screwing up a one-car parade on a one-way street!

All you have to do is look at the customer comments on their own site, as well as CVS.com, Drugstore.com and Walgreens.com to read the disappointment with the "Classic" scent. As I wrote in another thread, the execs at Walmart told me they were surprised they had no luck in bulk purchasing the India versions of Old Spice no matter what distributor they contacted or avenue they tried. It's very puzzling why P&G wouldn't import their own licensed fragrances made in other countries for customers who desire it, and that goes for the shaving cream tubes. How difficult would it be to sell direct online via their site?

I guess it's similar to the record business decades ago, where a company would license an LP to be sold overseas on a different record label, and then the fans would find out the overseas LP had extra tracks, so everyone would go looking for stores that sold imports. Record chains here in the USA rarely ever carried an overseas import, and if they did, it was in a small, out of the way bin. A good example are the early Beatles LP's that were on Parlophone in the UK and Capitol in the USA (both owned by EMI in the UK).

Last edited:
I think even the covers on some (English language) books were different between UK and US versions. I guess American distributors think that the public likes different things from Europeans.

those people you talked to on other end of the phone may have been there taking part in work experience with zero knowledge about what products the company's selling.+1

View attachment 595801

I rather doubt it, on each occasion the P&G rep handled themselves professionally and both times I sensed they had heard my complaint from other people. My response on the second inquiry was P&G was clueless and taking a hands-off attitude on the matter. Regardless, doubtful if anything would come to fruition anyway.

Maybe it is just me or I got a bad batch of rubicon indian old spice but to me the scent DOES NOT last as long as the UK original oldspice (which I didnt mind the scent of) that is now sold over here.

Maybe the heat got to it in the transport or something, I prefer the scent of the rubicon indian old spice (although to me it is a more subtle scent with a hint of vanilla) & it has that weird warming sensation that I didn't quite get from the new UK version but the scent doesn't last.

Uk old spice was on par with clubman for longevity, still got whiffs of it after a 12 hour shift.

Anyone else get this?

The good new is I found a source on Ebay for the rubicon indian one that is only £1 more than buying the UK one in store.

Maybe it is the differences between the UK & American one which I have heard about.

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me or I got a bad batch of rubicon indian old spice but to me the scent DOES NOT last as long as the UK original oldspice (which I didnt mind the scent of) that is now sold over here.

Maybe the heat got to it in the transport or something, I prefer the scent of the rubicon indian old spice (although to me it is a more subtle scent with a hint of vanilla) & it has that weird warming sensation that I didn't quite get from the new UK version but the scent doesn't last.

Uk old spice was on par with clubman for longevity, still got whiffs of it after a 12 hour shift. Anyone else get this? The good new is I found a source on Ebay for the rubicon indian one that is only £1 more than buying the UK one in store. Maybe it is the differences between the UK & American one which I have heard about. UK old spice is up there with clubman for longevity I still get whiffs of these after a 12 hour shift.

Thanks for chiming in. Where were you when I started this thread? No one responded!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-the-EU-the-same-as-the-India-Rubicon-version

The European versions of Original Old Spice have not been discussed at length on this forum. There are a few threads, but not much in the way of any solid conclusions. Is P&G themselves manufacturing two formulas (without using Rubicon in India) of Old Spice - Classic in the US and Original in either the UK, Germany or both?

By the way, where is "over here"? Are you in the UK because there's no location in your profile? Do you still have a bottle of the UK Original OS. I'm curious as to whether it says "made in Germany (or the EU) for P&G, UK. Take a look at my post here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...956-vs-Indian-Old-Spice?p=7631673#post7631673

Fendrihan says their Original OS is made in Germany, as does Gifts and Care, yet the reviewer on Fendrihan's site says his version is an import from the UK. Where did you buy your non-India version of Original OS and would it be possible for you to post a photo of the back of the bottle?

In regard to the India version of Old Spice Original, I agree with you that the scent isn't very long lasting. The Old Spice Musk from India is excellent and lasts quite some time. Have you tried the European version of Old Spice Original Eau de Toilette? have a feeling that I'll only be happy with the OS Original EDT as the scent lasts longer because there's probably more than 2x the amount of fragrance oil in there (in comparison to the aftershave).

As for Clubman, I must have very, very absorbent skin because I don't find that the VIBR or Clubman regular last more than an hour. Special Reserve last for a few hours but that's an "aftershave cologne". I

Last edited:

+1. The P&G 'customer service' people are clueless IMHO. :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

BTW Did you know that P&G also owns AOS??

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255355961

(Another link to show the bottle)
http://www.shaving-shack.com/old-sp...0P_XuZkr2ViObx1Db9fTe1yiTl4-nbbwbEaAsK88P8HAQ

This is the one readily available in the UK (where I am from) porcelain bottle. Seems to be the same one from fendrihan website. Notice the production details on the bottom of the Tesco page.

It is not a bad scent (Indian is better IMHO) but it gets bonus points for longevity. It does not smell the same as the Indian one, which since everyone says that smells closer to the Shulton old spice I would say the UK version does not smell like Shulton old spice.

UK one is sweeter maybe with less vanilla, it is a less subtle scent IMHO aswell.

I don't have any to hand right now only the Indian Rubicon one.

I have never smelt the US classic version so cannot comment on that.

I am lucky in the UK, I have found sources for the US classic & Indian Rubicon for more or less the same price as the UK version (actually think the US one is cheapest).

However by far the easiest one to purchase is the UK version in the link at the top, it is EVERYWHERE, with Brut alongside it.

Quick question, which of these are the American version?

Number 1
https://www.weldricks.co.uk/product...GeJeMZTJdWokBBF3jaMSu_SMbctLlpGSzsaAhm78P8HAQ

Number 2
http://www.solippy.co.uk/spice-shul...m_medium=product_search&utm_source=froogle-uk

Thanks

Last edited:
they're producing an Old Spice Classic deodorant AND an Old Spice Original High Endurance deodorant in the US?

The High Endurance product line has been discontinued. The new antiperspirant and deodorant has the same description as the deodorant. They are difference products:
It just semantics Classic is Original, Original is Classic....

$OSC.PNG

Top Bottom