What's new

Brine for pork chops.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
To aid in getting a good crust after brining, let the meat rest uncovered in the fridge overnight. A big improvement.

I dried them them off really well with paper towels and let them sit for 20 minutes. But I think letting them sit for a longer time will let them dry out somewhat and aid in getting that beloved char.

ChezPopp - Yes. Heirloom pork is like a different thing from what the super markets sell. Roasts and chops simply can't be compared to the supermarket variety. I just bought some heritage spareribs. It might not make a difference because ribs are so fatty anyway, but I thought I 'd give it a try. As for Spanish pork products I've had Serrano ham, which I like better than the best of Italian proscuitto, and I've recently discovered Palacios chorizo which has become a favorite of mine. However while in Barcelona we bought some Jamon Iberico at local markets. That is like some kind of transcendental ham experience. Would love to buy more but it is too outrageously expensive to buy here in the states.

Interestingly, the best pork I ever had was very lean. I took it on the hoof with a .45-70.

Damn pigs are a nuisance around here; I just wish I had more time to chase them.

Top Bottom