What's new

How many types of blade before you found your favourite?

I've been wet-shaving for 40 years and I STILL am looking for the "ONE":lol::tongue_sm--BUT I have my favorites

+1. Still looking. Tried a LOT of blades. I have found 1 or three blades that work well with a particular razor, but NO #1 for every razor.

It's a paralysis of choice. Too many, and it's impossible to say which is 'best.' At least for me, anyways. I know which ones definitely don't work, though, and that's what matters.

I think my self-made sampler had about eight or nine different blades. I had settled on the Voskhod and was about to order a 100 pack when a found a pack of 7 o'clock blacks that had fallen behind some items in my medicine cabinet. That first shave with the blacks was when I knew I had found the blade for me.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've tried nearly 100 different brands. I've narrowed it down to:

Personna Israeli Reds
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Silver Blues
Personna Med Preps
Rapira Lux

....and any other brands I haven't tried yet. Here are a few on the way:

Dorco-Prime Platinum
Kia
Schick Premium
Tiger 3H
Tomy Stainless
$tomy-stainless.jpg

I have about five favorites.

But it took me about four tries to land on the one I wanted to stick with while learning back in the beginning. I really had no idea what blades (or anything else, for that matter) to buy back then; now I have a rough idea what to expect before I try one out.

FWIW, I do not intend to narrow my list of favorites to less than three. Razor blades are one of the few parts of shaving in which I really enjoy variety. Four or five is optimal for me.

I probably tried 6 or 8 different blades, but when I tried Astra SP my quest was over. Now this is the only blade I use.

Glad to see this thread is still getting replies!

I spent a month or so on Derbys, and have started trying other blades.

So far:

Derby: 3 1/2 stars out of 5
Personna (Israeli, blue tuck): 4 1/2
Polsilver: 1 stars (maybe a duff blade)
Feather 4 stars

Glad to see this thread is still getting replies!

I spent a month or so on Derbys, and have started trying other blades.

So far:

Derby: 3 1/2 stars out of 5
Personna (Israeli, blue tuck): 4 1/2
Polsilver: 1 stars (maybe a duff blade)
Feather 4 stars

please do yourself a favor and try the polsilver again--You can thank me later :001_smile

For me, I tried two different blades before I settled on my two favorites. However, I still try different blades out of a love of exploring everything to do with wet shaving.

So far I've tried Merkur, GSB, Astra SP, Derby,shark ss, and Personna lab blue with a handful of others waiting in the wings.... If I had to pick it would be a toss up between the Astra and the Gsb

Probably 5 blades. Then I used a Personna Lab Blue and was sold that they were a GOOD blade for the money. Next was Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow. Then after years at this, I discovered the Yellows are best in milder razors, and the Lab Blues are best in my adjustables. Yellows in the adjustables tend to give me nicks and irritation.

Right now, I'm on a Yellow kick using my NEW Long Comb. So much love with those two I'm probably gonna order another 100 yellows, though I have about 30 or so still. I have over 150 Lab Blue on hand :) I shave every 2-3 days, and both blades I use for one week and toss (I can get many more shaves, but why risk irritation?)

My favorite varies with each razor but good all around performers are Polsilver, Astra, Gillette Sharp Edges and GSB. Derbys work really well for me in the 34C but horrifically in the R41. Feathers are nice but pricey and too short lived.

I still have no particular favorite. I find very little difference among brands of this product that has been in production for over 100 years. Their manufacturing sources carry the same ISO certifications. They all take the same multiple passes and buffings to reach that sweet BBS, though I try not to be in any hurry during the experience. There are some blades I go back to more than others, if only because I am still working my way through my first 100-blade purchase while dabbling into sampler packs here and there.

Top Bottom