What's new

Is this beginners luck and other random thoughts on my first foray into Straights.

So I have a handful of Straight Razor shaves under my belt. Previously I was shaving with a Merkur long handle DE. I have always been fascinated with Straight Razor shaving so I decided to finally take the plunge. I shave my head only. I am currently using a Feather Artist Club SS Japanese style straight with Feather Pro blades. I do 2 passes, one XTG and one ATG. I have only nicked myself once during my very first shave. Other than that one tiny nick I have been getting great results, actually the best shaves of my life. My head is as smooth as glass with no need for touch ups with my DE. Is this just beginners luck? I have lurked on here for quite a while and keep reading stories about how sharp and unforgiving the feather artist club series are. While I do agree that these blades are crazy sharp, I have found them to be actually quite easy to use and can easily tell when the blade is about to cut me before the cut actually happens. Yes I am being very careful but it's not like my 2 pass shave takes me forever to complete. Can usually do a full head shave from beginning to end within 30 minutes.

I really love the experience and the sense of accomplishment that I get after a shave. I used to hate shaving when I was using a Gillette Fusion, then 6 months ago my wife bought me a DE and have begun to really like shaving. Now that I have moved to the Feather Straight I can't wait to get home and shave (I am an evening shaver as I am pretty sure I would kill myself with a straight in the early am).

I am making sure that I do not get over confident and I make sure I am 100% focused during the shave. SO my big question is should I expect things to go badly soon or am I one of the rare breed that just naturally takes to Straight Shaving? Has anyone else jumped in head first with nothing but good results? Don't get me wrong, I know I am a newbie etc and I only have experience shaving with one type of straight but I can't believe the results I am getting.

For example, I go to a professional experienced barber about once a month to get a beard trim and a hot towel straight razor head shave and my results at home are even smoother than my barbers shave. Is this normal or am I some kind of mutant??

Thanks in advance for any advice I get

Ben

The feathers are awesome. Since You'll likely never have to wonder if your stropping is bad or the bevel is bad or needs a refresh and the feafhers last a while, they are a great starting tool.

Well done on the shaves.

Not a mutant. Just very well prepared. I expected to take months to get DE shaving down, but because I was very diligent and followed all the tools here, my DE shaves were locked in at about three weeks. 3 full straight shaves and I can get nick-free, close shaves that will only get better.

Keep it up!

Thank you all for the encouragement, I am so new to all of this but one thing I know for sure is I really love straight razor shaving. Hoping to get better and faster the more experience I get. I still can't believe the difference in closeness compared to a DE.

Just a warning, I was feeling the same way you have been. Just a little loss of focus resulted in two decent cuts in two days. I am almost starting over now when it comes to my mental approach. I was shocked to get another cut the very next day after my first.

Yeah, I have read many warnings on different threads about loss of focus and the resulting injuries. By no means am I getting cocky, I have a huge amount of respect for the blade and totally realize that only being 2 weeks in makes it pretty likely that I am going to slip up sooner or later. For now though I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. I am an evening shaver so I make sure I have plenty of time and no distractions when I pick up my straight. I am just surprised that I am getting such good results right out of the gate. I have read so many posts saying that it took people numerous shaves to get anywhere near BBS results with a straight. Not complaining mind you LOL. The only thing I feel bad about is how lonely my Merkur DE is now as I don't see myself using it unless I am in a rush.

Getting such good results is due to the amount of focus you have put into it. My shaves, barring the two cuts, have been pretty awesome. Better than I expected then to be with just six full straight shaves. Keep up the good work, and it should only get better from here.

always keep that focus, and
remain patient. When you
become comfortable with it
is when the nicks/cuts start
to happen. if you catch
my meaning.

Top Bottom