What's new

Today's Mail - Frank Shaving 38 mm Brush

Today's mail brought me my anxiously awaited brush. Much to my surprise, they sent a bonus brush with it.

My new Mega Beast, and a Boar with a Butterscotch handle.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the Boar. It measures 28 mm where the knot emerges from the handle. If nothing else I'll use the handle for some future project.

Here it is lined up with the larger of my other Beasts (28 mm and 30 mm brushes). As you can see the new one isn't the tallest, but it sure has girth. The Mega Beast loft measures in at 58 mm, the same as the burgundy handled 30 mm brush next to it. Considering the girth, it acts like a Chubby. The loft of the others vary from 65 mm to 69 mm. One is a Finest, the others are Silvertips.

How big is it? When I ordered it the ebay listing said 38 mm. The same listing now says 40 mm. Measuring where the hair emerges from the handle it shows 39.25 mm, which would be consistent with a 38 mm knot. I wonder if the newest ones are bigger, or if the seller is just "rounding up". Will those that obtain the newest one have 2 more mm of bragging rights? I apologize for the poor picture, but the caliper digital display reflects horribly.

It isn't easy to see just how big this thing is in pictures. In an attempt, here it is with a very full 25 mm brush and a 16 mm travel brush.

It took a lot to clean it, not because it was unusually dirty, but because of its size and density. Here it is in wet bloom along with the shampoo and oxyclean used to clean it.

A Barbershop Luxury mug is a really big mug, but not big enough for this brush. It is fine for the Boar brush though.

This one is big enough though. It is a 99 Cent Store find.

And here are a couple of lather shots.

So is it too big to use? I'll find out tomorrow. It sure consumes a lot of soap, much more than the other beasts.

Monster brush! Just bought the Razorock Chubby Silvertip which is a 28MM knot. Its tiny compared to your spec!

I shaved with it this morning. It will take some getting accustomed to. I felt like a rooky Silvertip user, with water dripping off my elbow. The badger funk is still kind of strong, but getting better. I'll use it again tomorrow, and then it will be nearly a week before I can use it again due to travel. So it is still too soon to tell just how great it is. I'll know more in a month or two.

I have finest badger one.
Lather is good and feels like using soft tennis ball on face.

I'm still getting accustomed to it, but my last shave felt kind of like that, that I had a fuzzy tennis ball that I had sprayed some canned goo onto. So far it is a real lather hog. I think it will get better though. It has finally lost most of the badger funk. For me at least, it absolutely needs a very big mug. It didn't work so well with the mug I use for my 30 mm X 69 mm brush.

It is getting better with use. It feels less like lathering with a fuzzy tennis ball with each use. However, I'm beginning to think it is more of a bragging rights brush than a practical brush. It certainly is not as nice as my 30/79 Super Silvertip or my 28/65 Silvertip.

But I can say mine's bigger than yours most of the time.

Top Bottom