What's new

Bialetti Grind Advice

Hey folks-

Going to pick up a Bialetti moka pot tomorrow and would like some advice on the grind size I should use.

I only make coffee at home via French Press. I have a Baratza Virtuoso grinder set to about 34 to 36 (max is 40 on my model) which gives me good grind for my French Press without making a lot of "mud".

Any recommendations on where I should start in regards to numerical setting for the Bialetti. I suspect there will be some trial and error of course, but I would be very appreciative if you could recommend a reasonable starting point. Thanks.

I can't help you with the Baratza numeric setting, but a lot of people try to go with too fine a grind with their moka pot. I use a grind that is just a bit finer than a drip grind with my Bialetti stainless moka. Nowhere near an espresso grind that some recommend. Also, I don't tamp at all. Mine is a 3 cup moka, and using preheated water I normally see flow in 3-4 minutes. You will probably have to experiment a bit, but once you fine tune your technique you will enjoy a great cup!

I can't help you with the Baratza numeric setting, but a lot of people try to go with too fine a grind with their moka pot. I use a grind that is just a bit finer than a drip grind with my Bialetti stainless moka. Nowhere near an espresso grind that some recommend. Also, I don't tamp at all. Mine is a 3 cup moka, and using preheated water I normally see flow in 3-4 minutes. You will probably have to experiment a bit, but once you fine tune your technique you will enjoy a great cup!

Thank you sir. This will be my first attempt with a moka pot. I was going to pick up the Bialetti offered at my local Target store. I think it runs about $35. If I remember correctly, its a 6 cup pot. More than I need but an easy place to start. Despite my unyielding pleas, my wife will not join me in this wonderful world of coffee.

In regards to the grind, I'll make a few test runs and see how it goes.

From what I have read, after I add the water to the bottom chamber and add my grinds to the filter, I should place the pot on medium heat until I can no longer hear the fluid moving between the chambers, then remove from the heat.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks.

Correct. I normally preheat the water a bit before filling the bottom chamber (no higher than the safety valve). I use water just hot enough where I can still handle the bottom part to assemble. Preheating the water reduces the total time on the stove and prevents getting the ground coffee too hot. Yes, use medium heat, and leave the top of the moka pot open to watch the flow. You want a steady trickle only! You DON'T want a rapid, violent flow. Remove from the heat at the first sign of "sputtering", which indicates the bottom chamber getting empty. I sometimes remove the moka pot from the stove when it reaches this point and submerge the bottom part in a bowl of cold water to immediately stop the brewing. The best advise that I can give you for your first attempt is to carefully watch what is happening, and be ready to remove it from the heat if it starts brewing too fast. Don't put it on the stove and walk away! Let us know how it goes for you, and remember that it takes practice. Good luck!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
With my Baratza Encore I use a 9 for both Moka Pot and Aero Press. It works for me. Good luck. By the way; my father loves his brush!

Correct. I normally preheat the water a bit before filling the bottom chamber (no higher than the safety valve). I use water just hot enough where I can still handle the bottom part to assemble. Preheating the water reduces the total time on the stove and prevents getting the ground coffee too hot. Yes, use medium heat, and leave the top of the moka pot open to watch the flow. You want a steady trickle only! You DON'T want a rapid, violent flow. Remove from the heat at the first sign of "sputtering", which indicates the bottom chamber getting empty. I sometimes remove the moka pot from the stove when it reaches this point and submerge the bottom part in a bowl of cold water to immediately stop the brewing. The best advise that I can give you for your first attempt is to carefully watch what is happening, and be ready to remove it from the heat if it starts brewing too fast. Don't put it on the stove and walk away! Let us know how it goes for you, and remember that it takes practice. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Will follow up- hopefully tomorrow.

With my Baratza Encore I use a 9 for both Moka Pot and Aero Press. It works for me. Good luck. By the way; my father loves his brush!

Marty- where does the Encore top out on grind #? Does it also go up to 40?

Thanks for the f/u on your dad's brush. You've made my night!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The same 40. But I don't know if they r calibrated the same but maybe it is a good place to start.
And I thank you for that brush and making my father happy. As far as making ur night: u r welcome, sir

The same 40. But I don't know if they r calibrated the same but maybe it is a good place to start.
And I thank you for that brush and making my father happy. As far as making ur night: u r welcome, sir

My pleasure. I'll make a grind at 9 and see how it goes. Thanks again.

When I use my Moka pot I start with hot water in the bottom.

You need to be right there with it as you do not want to go too fast or too slow on the brew. I brew with the lid open so I can see when it starts and how fast it is coming inside the serving chamber

I grind a little finer than I do for my Hario V60 which is finer than auto drip.

It is hard to relate numbers between grinders especially if they have had the internal base setting changed.

For me the "right" setting on my Preciso is around 15 but I have altered my base grind setting to coarse internally.

You should be able to rub the grind between thumb and fingers and still see a fine salt consistency, not powdered.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom