What's new

Pipe Bag or Leather Roll or Something Else

The title sums it up. I am looking to get a simple; functional; cost effective solution to carry a pipe (or 2) for daily commute smokes. I have been just "tossing" my lighter; pipe tool; tobacco; and pipe (in a pipe bag) into my hard hat for transport, but figured that I should probably find a more "elegant" solution for transport. I don't typically use pipe cleaners at all, unless I am cleaning my pipe or know that the pipe (or tobacco) tends to produce a bit of condensation.

So my question to all of you BL'ers. What's your preferred method of transport for your daily smoke

Pipe Bag

Something simple that I'm considering:
$Bag 1.jpg$Bag 2.jpg

Leather Pipe Roll

Another Something simple that I'm considering:
$Roll.jpg

Or something Else?

$303-wooden-dometop-antique-trunk.jpg

I like the first option. It would be a lot more secure than a roll. I'd be worried that my pipe and tobacco would fall out with a roll.

Pipe bags are nice. I use a Peterson Avoca leather 4 pipe bag. Plenty of room for all my stuff.

I also like rolls for the times I'm only carrying minimal items and a bag is just too much.

BTW, thanks alot...now I want that chest. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I cut and sewed my own from leather I had leftover from a project. It holds 3 different tobaccos, 2 pipes and my needed accessories light lighter, tamper, pipe cleaners, etc.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'd also go with the bag. I have one and enjoy it very much. It's supposed to be a 2-pipe bag, although that could get pretty tight. It's small enough to be portable and large enough to be practical.

I use a small, generic $5 camera case that works great and has compartments for baccy, pipes, lighters & tampers.

Last edited:
I have a pouch similar to the first pic. If I were to do it over, I'd go with the camera bag as sugested by Alpster...especially for work...especially if you wear a hard hat for work. The camera case/bag would give more protection...and cost less. Not to mention it looks a lot less like a purse...lol!

I have multiple pipe pouches (7, 5, 4, 2) and a 2 pipe leather roll up.

I love my leather roll up but I will admit I baby it to keep the leather nice and clean. So I end up using my pipe pouches (the 4 and the 2) the most. They can also usually hold a tin where the roll ups are only good for some loose tobacco.

I've got a small soft sided fishing case from Walmart... Called a Jar Bait Holder.

Works well, although its on the large side for a pipe case. Cheap, too. Got it on sale for 9 bucks...

Don't have a pic handy, but it has lots of loops which work well for pipes, and several zip pockets, etc.

I think you have to ask how much protection you need. I have a Savenelli bag that includes a zipper pouch for the pipe, separate pouch for accessories, and a large compartment for tobacco. It's a great way to keep everything together when I'm out and about, but it doesn't offer any real protection so I still feel like I need to baby it.

Thanks for all of the comments guys. The pipe bag will stay in the car during work and will only be used as a way to keep everything tidy when I'm out and about. I only smoke a pipe on the way home from work and generally I only go out to the "field" once a week, so it will get limited use and abuse.
I went ahead and added the pipe bag to my "cart". Now just to decide on what I need to fill it up to get free shipping. :w00t:

@Reign That pipe bag looks incredible. I'd love to see some more pics and a short "impression" when you get it, so we can live vicariously through you. :thumbup1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've never used a roll up, but that bag looks good. This is what I have, but I only use it when I go out of town for an overnight stay as it keeps everything together. Holds one pipe, about a tin's worth of tobacco, and has a pocket for pipe cleaners, pipe tool, etc.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=106783

It's a bit large to stick in a shirt pocket, but you are leaving yours in the car. If I'm just around town I'll put a pipe in a pipe sock and some 'baccy in a plastic snack bag. A czech tool fits about anywhere. I've been thinking about getting one of these for the 'baccy that looks a little nicer than a snack baggie.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=129029

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have several. My every day carry is a little 2 pipe bag, the Julias Max Bellator: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-pouches/74139/julius-max-pipe-pouches/

Holds two pipes, a couple of lighters, a tobacco pouch, a pipe stand, cleaners, pipe tool, and often a few small baggies of tobacco as well and forms a nice compact package.

I also have a 3 pipe roll from Shaman Leather Works on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shamanleatherworks?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Very nice quality and works and looks quite nice. I also had him make a matching leather tobacco mat that I roll up inside the roll and it works quite well.

My first pipe came with this combination pouch for a single pipe & tobacco. They're from about the 1970s and still serviceable. It says The Tinder Box -- Made in England. The pipe's a cosmetic second, without any brand name--just says Made in London England. The pouch has two loops, ostensibly for a few pipe cleaners and a pipe tool. Missing from the picture is the very important spring-loaded pipe vent/cover which, among other things, prevents ashes from spilling into the pouch which does have a few ashes in it from over the decades. I haven't looked for another pipe pouch, but I've looked at quite a few tobacco pouches and can't find any with quality internal materials that will last the decades like this one has, though to be honest this has seen very light & irregular use. The fabric on the pipe side is starting to thin, but the moisture proof tobacco side is still in perfect condition. Meanwhile, the insides of several newer tobacco pouches have cracked or torn within weeks or a few short months. But mostly I lose them, so I've given up.
$pouch.and.contents.jpg$pouch.internal.contents.jpg$pouch.internal.tobacco.side.jpg

Last edited:
I keep a cache of pipe stuff in my car. I've been just bringing a pipe out to the car each day, tucked into a loop on the backpack I use to carry my lunch/devices/random crud to work, but a few days ago I decided to dedicate a couple pipes to the car and now I just leave them there.

Top Bottom