What's new

Let's Develop A list of Lever Espresso Machines (By Lever Type)

Lever espresso machines have been on my mind a lot lately. When I am finally able to buy an espresso machine, I've already decided it will be a lever (for a lot of reasons, which are outside the scope of this post). I'm wondering though, if you 'spro nerds can help me. I find it very hard to remember which machines are spring levers, versus direct/manual levers, I started to think about how many different machines there are, and the list just kept building in my mind. I asked the google, if there were some master list that sorted the machines by type, and it seemed to say "no."

So perhaps we need a list. Perhaps if we can develop an exhaustive list, it could make its way into the wiki!

As you list your additions to the list, I'll work with the cafe stewards to modify the master list here in the OP!

Also... modern AND vintage machines should be on this list!

Spring Driven Lever MachinesDirect/Manual Lever Machines
Ponte Vecchio LussoLa Pavoni Europiccola
Ponte Vecchio ExportLa Pavoni Stradivari
Elektra Microcasa a LevaOlympia Cremina
Londonium I, II, & IIIGaggia Achille
Faema FaeminaArrarex Caravel
La Peppina

My hope is that this list will continue to grow, and that this thread will discuss the merits and complexities between these basic methods.

Begin.

Last edited:
Gaggia Factory G105 and G106 - Direct/Manual lever. Most parts interchangeable with the La Pavoni Europiccola.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440015377.015422.jpg

Boiler design is another variable (column) to sort out your potential lever machine choice.

A few without boilers (e.g. heat the water separately):
- "Faema Baby Faemina" is vintage design and hard to find.
- "Rok" or "Presso" is a modern version and a solid choice.
Then there are open boiler designs. I believe there are a few, one that immediately came to mind:
- Strietman E3. Looks like something part of an upscale industrial kitchen design.

Boiler design is another variable (column) to sort out your potential lever machine choice.

Then there are open boiler designs. I believe there are a few, one that immediately came to mind:
- Strietman E3. Looks like something part of an upscale industrial kitchen design.

It's a mashup of a ammo reloader and an aeropress! I really like it but at around $1500, I bet I don't ever buy one. Sure is convenient though, you could have one anywhere there is a wall.

-jim

Hm. Perhaps I should rework the graph? I didn't consider open boiler/no boiler designs. But if we're gonna put all the levers in one place, we might as well do it here, right?

The ones you've mentioned here, those are all direct levers, correct?

Hm. Perhaps I should rework the graph? I didn't consider open boiler/no boiler designs. But if we're gonna put all the levers in one place, we might as well do it here, right?

The ones you've mentioned here, those are all direct levers, correct?
Yes, all direct (simple levers).

Good to collect all them here, especially if you are doing a deep dive comparison. One should not overlook these simpler non-pressurized boiler designs, which can be appealing machines if you don't need the convenience of a built in milk frother.

Top Bottom