What's new

Acquisitions May 12 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

These came in this morning

I went wandering through an antiques mall on Saturday, and while I found several vintage razors, only one appeared worth the money, so I picked it up. I was able to get what appears to be a '47 Superspeed for $6. I think it is a '47. It has no date code, and does not appear to be notched. It looks identical to the pictures of the '47 SS in the wiki article. The razor was almost flawless - the doors opened smoothly, nothing was bent. The only flaw was that on top of one of the doors, there is some spotty plate loss. When I first got it, I thought it was just old grime, so I took it home, gave it a 5 minute bleach bath, a 5 minute boil, and a good scrubbing with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. I then went at it with Maas and an old sock. When all was said and done, it looked great, the doors were nice and smooth, but it was plate loss, not just grime. Popped a Crystal into it on Sunday, lathered up with QED lime, and it shaved great - not as smooth as the '74 Super Adjustable I am really enjoying right now, but a nice solid razor.

I went wandering through an antiques mall on Saturday, and while I found several vintage razors, only one appeared worth the money, so I picked it up. I was able to get what appears to be a '47 Superspeed for $6. I think it is a '47. It has no date code, and does not appear to be notched. It looks identical to the pictures of the '47 SS in the wiki article. The razor was almost flawless - the doors opened smoothly, nothing was bent. The only flaw was that on top of one of the doors, there is some spotty plate loss. When I first got it, I thought it was just old grime, so I took it home, gave it a 5 minute bleach bath, a 5 minute boil, and a good scrubbing with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. I then went at it with Maas and an old sock. When all was said and done, it looked great, the doors were nice and smooth, but it was plate loss, not just grime. Popped a Crystal into it on Sunday, lathered up with QED lime, and it shaved great - not as smooth as the '74 Super Adjustable I am really enjoying right now, but a nice solid razor.

I have a quick off topic question. I tried to sterilize a razor with bleach and the result was a whole lot of plating loss. How did you sterilize your superspeed?

I have a quick off topic question. I tried to sterilize a razor with bleach and the result was a whole lot of plating loss. How did you sterilize your superspeed?

5% bleach in water, let it soak for 5 minutes, then rinsed thoroughly. I've done this on a couple of razors with no bad affects yet. I also put it in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, then I scrubbed it with Srubbing Bubbles. Between those 3, I don't think there is anything still living on it that I need to fear.

I haven't tried this with gold-plated razors, but I have done this on my SS, a Fatboy, and a ball-end Tech with no harm done to the razors.

Everything I got last week weirdly showed up today. The '68 Knack is sweet, and looks like it was never used. Outstanding shape. Also got a puck of the Ogallala BR, Limes and Peppercorns. Smells nice, feels insanely creamy. John also sent along a 1oz. sample of the same in aftershave. Much obliged. Also got a 6-pack of real Zippo flints. Anything else is crap--always get the real deal.

More goodies this morning

Some Aleppo Soap - We shall see how my skin feels after none chemical additive soap
Mysore Sandalwood cologne and GIT Cologne from mama bear
a PAL Injector

Nice box of Mama Bear's products:

proxy.php

• Indian Tobacco
  • Bay Rhum
  • Patchouli
  • Smokin'
  • Beau Brummel
  • Awakenings

Thanks Sue!!!!

A Feather Portable is on its way :w00t: I also could not resist buying that tub of Body Shop shave cream when I walked past one of their stores last saturday.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
A stranger at a shaving forum mailed me 38 razor blades. They are by seven a. m. They work fine. They get a good review at 'the shave den'.

Got my first strop yesterday. Needless to say, it is gorgeous. I hope to actually use it some day. For now, the practice strop will have to do. My first straight shave was tonight. Not too much blood. Thank you Tony for a beautiful piece...

This is my first post in the Score. I picked up this personalized straight with my initials on the bolsters last night. Looks to be a re-branded F.W. Engels.

Today when I arrived home from work I found a box from CSC. In it was my little order of Dagger and Smoke and Beads.
The Dagger is very nice but the Smoke and Beads is simply awesome.
Thanks CSC for a couple great scents.

proxy.php

I pulled this NEW Tuckaway set off ebay, I had not seen one before, does anyone have details on these?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I also picked up this blade case, on the false assumption I was going to win a President set missing it. Now I just feel foolish. :redface:
proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom