Thread: Acquisitions May 12 - 18

1. Default Acquisitions May 12 - 18

Let's see your scores for the week!
    Chris.

Images

These came in this morning
    I sedederserve to lose some man points

Richie

I went wandering through an antiques mall on Saturday, and while I found several vintage razors, only one appeared worth the money, so I picked it up. I was able to get what appears to be a '47 Superspeed for $6. I think it is a '47. It has no date code, and does not appear to be notched. It looks identical to the pictures of the '47 SS in the wiki article. The razor was almost flawless - the doors opened smoothly, nothing was bent. The only flaw was that on top of one of the doors, there is some spotty plate loss. When I first got it, I thought it was just old grime, so I took it home, gave it a 5 minute bleach bath, a 5 minute boil, and a good scrubbing with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. I then went at it with Maas and an old sock. When all was said and done, it looked great, the doors were nice and smooth, but it was plate loss, not just grime. Popped a Crystal into it on Sunday, lathered up with QED lime, and it shaved great - not as smooth as the '74 Super Adjustable I am really enjoying right now, but a nice solid razor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    I went wandering through an antiques mall on Saturday, and while I found several vintage razors, only one appeared worth the money, so I picked it up. I was able to get what appears to be a '47 Superspeed for $6. I think it is a '47. It has no date code, and does not appear to be notched. It looks identical to the pictures of the '47 SS in the wiki article. The razor was almost flawless - the doors opened smoothly, nothing was bent. The only flaw was that on top of one of the doors, there is some spotty plate loss. When I first got it, I thought it was just old grime, so I took it home, gave it a 5 minute bleach bath, a 5 minute boil, and a good scrubbing with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. I then went at it with Maas and an old sock. When all was said and done, it looked great, the doors were nice and smooth, but it was plate loss, not just grime. Popped a Crystal into it on Sunday, lathered up with QED lime, and it shaved great - not as smooth as the '74 Super Adjustable I am really enjoying right now, but a nice solid razor.
    I have a quick off topic question. I tried to sterilize a razor with bleach and the result was a whole lot of plating loss. How did you sterilize your superspeed?
    "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! ..our hero ruefully acknowledges that this happens fairly frequently.."

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    I have a quick off topic question. I tried to sterilize a razor with bleach and the result was a whole lot of plating loss. How did you sterilize your superspeed?
    5% bleach in water, let it soak for 5 minutes, then rinsed thoroughly. I've done this on a couple of razors with no bad affects yet. I also put it in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, then I scrubbed it with Srubbing Bubbles. Between those 3, I don't think there is anything still living on it that I need to fear.

I haven't tried this with gold-plated razors, but I have done this on my SS, a Fatboy, and a ball-end Tech with no harm done to the razors.

Quote Originally Posted by R-James View Post

These came in this morning

Glad to see they made it! They look better in your pictures

Everything I got last week weirdly showed up today. The '68 Knack is sweet, and looks like it was never used. Outstanding shape. Also got a puck of the Ogallala BR, Limes and Peppercorns. Smells nice, feels insanely creamy. John also sent along a 1oz. sample of the same in aftershave. Much obliged. Also got a 6-pack of real Zippo flints. Anything else is crap--always get the real deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9b11_1.JPG  
    "Well, if we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?

Images

More goodies this morning

Some Aleppo Soap - We shall see how my skin feels after none chemical additive soap
    Mysore Sandalwood cologne and GIT Cologne from mama bear
    a PAL Injector

Richie

That was fast - I only posted them at about 3pm. What do you think of them?

Just arrived:

Images

GIT is fantastic, sandalwood will take time but I think I can grow to like it

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    I haven't tried this with gold-plated razors, but I have done this on my SS, a Fatboy, and a ball-end Tech with no harm done to the razors.
    Someone here once said: "Do NOT boil your gold plated razor"...
    [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Asbjorn"]My setup[/URL]

Shearstown, NL (a surburb of Bay Roberts)
    Images

Nice box of Mama Bear's products:

• Indian Tobacco
    • Bay Rhum
    • Patchouli
    • Smokin'
    • Beau Brummel
    • Awakenings

Thanks Sue!!!!

Images

These came in yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0118.jpg   IMG_0124.jpg  

Default razor + cream

A Feather Portable is on its way I also could not resist buying that tub of Body Shop shave cream when I walked past one of their stores last saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84f2_1.jpg  

Default for the week

A stranger at a shaving forum mailed me 38 razor blades. They are by seven a. m. They work fine. They get a good review at 'the shave den'.

Default First Strop from Tony

Got my first strop yesterday. Needless to say, it is gorgeous. I hope to actually use it some day. For now, the practice strop will have to do. My first straight shave was tonight. Not too much blood. Thank you Tony for a beautiful piece...

This is my first post in the Score. I picked up this personalized straight with my initials on the bolsters last night. Looks to be a re-branded F.W. Engels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WSG Razor 2.jpg   WSG Razor.jpg  
    WestSideGuy

Images

Today when I arrived home from work I found a box from CSC. In it was my little order of Dagger and Smoke and Beads.
    The Dagger is very nice but the Smoke and Beads is simply awesome.
    Thanks CSC for a couple great scents.

I pulled this NEW Tuckaway set off ebay, I had not seen one before, does anyone have details on these?

I also picked up this blade case, on the false assumption I was going to win a President set missing it. Now I just feel foolish.