What's new

Loose Leaf Tea

With more robust teas, such as black tea, I use on tea spoon per cup. With green its is usually two per cup. I use a plastic measuring spoon with a movable slider. It can be set up to measure various small amounts. The water temperature is even more important. Lighter teas need cooler, rather than boiling, water.

proxy.php

I use a tea leaf measuring spoon I got from Davids Tea. Only a couple bucks. When you buy loose leaf tea it will say on the package how much per cup. I usually drink green or white tea which range from 3/4 - 1.5 spoons.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It varies for me, too, but most things get a good heaping teaspoon per 16 ounces of water.

As far as resteeping goes, that varies a great deal with the tea. I can't think of anything I drink that cannot take a second steeping. More robust ones can take two. The Earl Grey I most enjoy loses much of the bergamot character in the second steeping but still is a nice black tea.

Depends on the tea, I tend use a scoop and eyeball for small loose leaf, sometimes I get out the scales for compressed tea like pu-erh cakes or if I'm drinking Japanese green they can sometimes be quite senstive and out comes the scales again.

I rebrew most all teas, but I tend to do short brews in small spaces with a fair amount of tea. Current Japanese greens get maybe 5-6 rebrews but others teas can go further. With some teas it's more how much tea can I cram in the pot:
proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The only way to be consistent is by weighing it. A teaspoon of tightly furled tea may weigh more than a tablespoon of fluffy leaf.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What do you use to measure your tea, what amount do you use? Also how many times can you re brew the tea leaves?

To measure my tea, I use the "yeahthatlooksaboutright" measuring device. $299 from amazon.

As for re-steeping, it depends on the tea: some will fade fast after a few infusions, and others will go longer ... and longer!

To measure my tea, I use the "yeahthatlooksaboutright" measuring device. $299 from amazon.

As for re-steeping, it depends on the tea: some will fade fast after a few infusions, and others will go longer ... and longer!

You overpaid

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do like seeing how a tea can change from infusion to infusion.

I also noticed that I put the wrong measure down for his much tea I use. I tend to use one (slightly) heaping tablespoon, not teaspoon. Rock on.

Re-brew??? :blink: I can feel a headache coming on, I'm off to lay down.

Depends on the tea. I won't steep Indian or Ceylon black teas a second time, with the exception of a really good Darjeeling. I won't re-steep tisanes either (they're usually super weak on the second pass). Anything in a bag also qualifies because that's usually one step above floor sweepings, which don't do a good job taking on water a second time.

Anything else, I'm steeping over and over again until it's done.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Depends on the tea. I won't steep Indian or Ceylon black teas a second time, with the exception of a really good Darjeeling.

I don't think blacks fare well with re-steepings, but you should be able to get 1-2 out of some greens, several out of most oolongs, and lots from most pu'ers.

I don't think blacks fare well with re-steepings, but you should be able to get 1-2 out of some greens, several out of most oolongs, and lots from most pu'ers.

I agree for the most part. Depends on how you brew what black teas. I can get several out of really good Chinese black teas in a gaiwan; sometimes with a "Golden Monkey" kind of blend but it works much better if the tea is something like a Yunnan style black. They typically also run above $10/oz in a tea shop these days, but price isn't the best signifier of how many gaiwans you can get. Greens, oolongs, puerh and white teas in a gaiwan I can get three steeps or more.

if I'm using a non-yixing teapot, I only intend to brew it once, and generally it is because that is all the tea can take.

I have only re-steeped some green teas, once or twice.

I use a plastic/wire mesh strainer.

Over the decades I have determined how much of a particular tea to put in, depending on the size of my tea-pot (1.2 litres), and type of tea. It will take some experimenting at first to find how much tea to use, but it is worth it in the long run.

I will let a Earl Grey or Monks Blend steep longer than an Assam or Russian Caravan.
It all depends on how strongly flavoured you like your tea.

Top Bottom