What's new

I hate Windows 10 so far.

First day and it still feels like I'm driving someone else's car.
Let's try a pic.....
~

Let's try again.

~

25 years with a GUI and MS still can not help themselves. If they let something slip out the door that works (Win 7), better change the interface to take care of that (Win 8, 8.1 and 10).

Let's try a pic again.

~

This is using Windows Edge, the new browser. Can't right click a photo and copy the location like Firefox or right click and copy properties link.

Guess I'll try downloading Firefox or go back to Linux were they know how to build something that works.

I have 8.1,and I have avoided downloading the free 10 for reasons like this.I don't have very deep computer skills,so maybe 10 will wait until I get a new computer.

This is with Firefox.
attachment.php

Life is better now. Avoid MS Edge till they get the rubber band tight enough.

Been on 10 for 3 days with wife's laptop. It cured 7's random, rare shutdown problem, and it runs noticeably faster than 7. I have always used Firefox, so I don't care about whatever IE has now become. Just be sure that you find the privacy settings and turn off all the sharing of your data with Microsoft....

I've had Win10 installed for about 2 weeks now, and I'm liking it.

It runs faster and more fluid than Win8 which it replaced. It occupies less disk space and consumes less RAM. Best of all, it is easier to configure and personalize than its predecessor. And I'm really, really glad that they brought back the START Menu.

The only glitch I've found is that I had to reinstall Norton360 twice in the first few days. All my other apps and programs and data remained intact and made the transition easily.

Still, no OS in the last 10 years has compared with MS-XP ... this was the most solid, reliable and easiest to understand of all the different versions of Windows I've ever used. I had it on a machine that was maxed out at 2 Gig of RAM, and it ran smoothly and quickly for months at a time in between re-boots.

With Win7, 8, and 10, I find that I should restart my computer at least once a week, otherwise it becomes sluggish and the browser bogs down too much. I keep a watch on vital statistics with Task Manager, and I see that the disk activity is way up there even when the machine is sitting idle. I'm not sure what its doing, but I try and wait for it to settle down until I start up something new, particularly if its a resource-intensive program like Photo-Shop.

I was telling my father in law about a timed competition that was once held to see how long it took a team of hackers to break Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It took them 3 seconds to break Windows, about 3 minutes to break Mac, and they NEVER managed to hack Linux. His response? "It took them THAT long to get into Windows??" :lol:

I was telling my father in law about a timed competition that was once held to see how long it took a team of hackers to break Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It took them 3 seconds to break Windows, about 3 minutes to break Mac, and they NEVER managed to hack Linux. His response? "It took them THAT long to get into Windows??" :lol:
Yeah, Windows has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese.

I'm never without a good anti-virus program. I'm running Norton360 for the last 6 years now. Its the one and only program that I pay for, and I gladly renew my license year after year. It was $50 last year and it covers 5 devices, including my two Androids.

It has saved my butt on numerous occasions ... just last week, it blocked a malicious website that a friend had linked to on his Facebook page, and its kept all kinds of nasty stuff from invading my system.

It runs silently in the background until its needed, and then it goes to work quickly and completely. I've never gotten any viruses or trojans or other attacks, although the Norton log shows that plenty of attempts have been made.

And it also takes care of routine maintenance like disk optimization, backups, deleting temp files, fixing disk errors, optimizing memory, etc.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Windows 10 over Windows 7
Fixing what ain't broke. :mad3:
+1. I don't know that much about computers, but Windows 7 is awesome. My roommate my freshman year of college bought a $2600 Alienware laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8 and hated the computer because of it. It was confusing and constantly freezing and glitching. Couldn't enjoy the amazing graphics card and processor that came with the computer because of the OS. My little Dell from 2010 running Windows 7 was doing circles around his fancy gaming laptop. :)

Seems like the only good thing anyone can find to say about 10 is that it's better than 8. I recently struggled to find a laptop that met my various requirements And was available with 7, after suffering a couple of years with 8. I won't touch this first version of 10.

Imagine how horrific 9 was going to be!

Linux is great if you either a) pretty much only use a browser, or b) know how to google your way around figuring out how to get what you need (and have the time to do so).

When I have a friend or family member (usually older than their 50s or so) who has an older computer that runs poorly and wants a fast, secure OS to browse the web and do a few light computing tasks here and there, I install and configure Ubuntu on their machine and never hear a complaint from them again.

It is not as easy to make Linux your main squeeze when you need to do certain tasks on your machine, such as using Microsoft Excel for Windows (the only version that works properly with VB plugins), or until recently doing things like watching Netflix (Silverlight, the plugin that powers Netflix, is incompatible with Linux and therefore Linux users were not able to watch). Even in cases like this, if the machine has a decent enough processor and enough RAM, I can recommend that a user just operate Windows in a virtual environment whenever they need to use Windows-only programs or something that does not have a Linux-compatible solution. Some will argue that you can use WINE to emulate Windows, but I have never successfully configured WINE, and it seems like it is much more difficult to accomplish than it should be.

Mac OS is the perfect OS for me. It has the stability and relative safety of Linux, but is infinitely more compatible with the programs that I work with. It is light-years ahead of Windows both in terms of user interface and simplicity.

If you must use Windows, 10 seems like the way to go. It runs marvelously on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, which isn't saying much because the tablet came with 8 (later upgraded to 8.1). Windows 10 does have a well-thought-out UI considering the enormous number of devices it must be compatible with. Even the most modern Linux distributions do not seamlessly switch between tablet and desktop modes the way that Windows does. Of course, Windows will never be as stable, lightweight, and secure as Linux, but then Linux still has a long way to go before catching up with Windows and Mac OS in terms of compatible programs.

Win 10 is incomplete, it was rushed out for the back to school sales. They have a major release scheduled for October, knowing MS it will probably be January... Edge is incomplete, Explorer is still installed use it until Edge is finished. No media player or suitable sub, supposed to be in the Oct release. Several other incomplete items. Still, I find it very usable and fast, much better than 8 and close to 7.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Linux is great if you either a) pretty much only use a browser, or b) know how to google your way around figuring out how to get what you need (and have the time to do so).

When I have a friend or family member (usually older than their 50s or so) who has an older computer that runs poorly and wants a fast, secure OS to browse the web and do a few light computing tasks here and there, I install and configure Ubuntu on their machine and never hear a complaint from them again.

It is not as easy to make Linux your main squeeze when you need to do certain tasks on your machine, such as using Microsoft Excel for Windows (the only version that works properly with VB plugins), or until recently doing things like watching Netflix (Silverlight, the plugin that powers Netflix, is incompatible with Linux and therefore Linux users were not able to watch). Even in cases like this, if the machine has a decent enough processor and enough RAM, I can recommend that a user just operate Windows in a virtual environment whenever they need to use Windows-only programs or something that does not have a Linux-compatible solution. Some will argue that you can use WINE to emulate Windows, but I have never successfully configured WINE, and it seems like it is much more difficult to accomplish than it should be.

Mac OS is the perfect OS for me. It has the stability and relative safety of Linux, but is infinitely more compatible with the programs that I work with. It is light-years ahead of Windows both in terms of user interface and simplicity.

If you must use Windows, 10 seems like the way to go. It runs marvelously on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, which isn't saying much because the tablet came with 8 (later upgraded to 8.1). Windows 10 does have a well-thought-out UI considering the enormous number of devices it must be compatible with. Even the most modern Linux distributions do not seamlessly switch between tablet and desktop modes the way that Windows does. Of course, Windows will never be as stable, lightweight, and secure as Linux, but then Linux still has a long way to go before catching up with Windows and Mac OS in terms of compatible programs.

I didn't know about the netflix issue since I don't use netflix, but LibreOffice handles Office files just fine. Just make sure you save in native Office file formats in case you want to share a file with a windohs user, and bobs yer uncle. I used to use VMWare and Wine but I haven't used VMWare or any other virtual machine in a couple years now and I really don't need Wine, either. I download P2P and NNTP just fine. FTP? No problem. Batch retagging of audio files? Piece of cake. Graphics? I can do that. CAD? Sure thing. Marine navigation and electronic charts? Easy peasy. Download and save YouTube video? No problemundo. Edit, rip, transcode DVD or other video? Linux can do that. Plus Linux has a much more robust, powerful and flexible command line interface where the real magic happens. The Linux Terminal is almighty. Sure, Ubuntu or Mint offer a great web and email experience, with great security if the user just uses a little common sense, but there is more, more, more, and Ubuntu, or most any other linux distro, eats Windohs lunch.

And...

it's free.

But I bet there is a way to do Netflix. I don't do Netflix, so I really am not the guy to look for the solution, but I bet one is out there.

Actually a 9 second Google search turned up workarounds, but these have been superseeded by the latest version of Chrome, which enables you to watch Netflix in the borwser window. Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2014/10/10/watch-netflix-in-ubuntu-today/

Linux does it all. Except leave itself wide open to malicious hackers. You have to work at it to compromise your security with Linux.

Linux does it all. Except leave itself wide open to malicious hackers. You have to work at it to compromise your security with Linux.

Linux absolutely [almost] does it all! Like I said, if you have the expertise and the time to do it.

I am a huge proponent of Linux and prefer it to Windows (though I prefer Mac OS to both), but there are just a few unfortunate realities that make Linux unusable for some. If you are a corporate graphic designer, you are going to use Windows or Mac OS so that you can run Adobe Creative Suite. If your work relies on Visual Basic plugins in Excel for Windows (which I had to do in college statistics), you are going to be using Windows whether you like it or not.

Believe me, I find workarounds to avoid Windows as often as I can because of the reasons that you mentioned above (security, stability, etc.), and the best workaround I've found so far is Mac OS. Linux has come a very long way and I still get a burst of joy every time I use it, but it still is not average-user simple quite yet. Probably the closest we have to a consumer-grade Linux OS is Chrome OS.

Of course, as is the case with just about everything here in this forum, YMMV. :001_rolle

Thanks for the reminder on Linux...

I kinda wrote Linux off years ago when I tried to switched from windows (XP).
Back then I was heavily into video processing and it seemed a complicated process (then) under Linux.
[I even learnt up linux (unix) commands and parameters for the fun of it].

Then promptly switched back to windows...

I no longer do heavy video processing, and most of 'puter times are for watching videos, internet surfing and torrent.
Seriously considering switching to Linux come end of the year...

Which distro is "popular" today (back then I used Redhat)?

Linux. Its simply better.

I have Windows and Linux running side by side on all my machines work and home. I only run Windows so I know how to get around on my customers machines. Linux Mint does everything I need and enjoy.

Yeah, I try to like Linux but always run into some issue so I always give up on using it. Usually it is an issue trying to set it up so I can share data in a server setup or a printer issue (never seem to work with any printer I ever owned from HP to Epson to Canon to whomever.

Example: Just recently I had the bug to play with linux again and planned on using either Fedora, Linux Mint or Ubuntu so with that thought in mind I was looking for a new printer, a laser that was linux compatible so I bought one that said it was and even had drivers right on their website. Finally got them installed and saying they are working properly but guess what? I can't print using the linux drivers from the dang manufacturer of the printer!

I guess I am just not lucky enough to use Linux and I have used/tried to use Linux for a long time off/on, when Ubuntu was at like 8.04 or earlier, OpenSuse was called Suse (and that one actually worked pretty well as it let me use it as a server very easily but the eliminated that!), Fedora was just Red Hat, etc.

Top Bottom